Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2016-01-27, 03:17 PM
Regular User

Default Home Surveillance/Security Systems

Hi all, i'm looking into having a home surveillance/security system installed.
I would like at least 4 cameras and they have to use PoE (power over ethernet) instead of having a separate video cable and power cable. Does anyone know of any good brands and models and someone who does a good job installing them? The cheapest one at Costco is about $1000. I don't want to spend that kind of money.

thanks
Old 2016-01-27, 10:25 PM
Regular User

I hear Greg, the owner of the forum you are posting on is a professional installer of home surveillance among other things.
Old 2016-01-27, 10:55 PM
Administrator

You will not, at all, ever, get a camera system supplied and professionally installed for less than $2000. If you do, they more than likely purchased the junk at Costco and poorly installed it, or they are just out to lose money.

Average system we supply and install is about $2700. Not all houses are the same and different things need to be done to get camera wire in place.

We have standardized on FLIR, and yes I know they own Lorex (which is sometimes sold at Costco), however they are built differently for different markets.

That system you show there for $949, I know the Chinese manufacture. Now you got me thinking I should be bringing those in and selling them.. but I can't because they really aren't that good.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2016-01-28, 10:35 AM
Regular User

what's wrong with the model at costco? other than the internet monitoring not being very good.
Old 2016-01-28, 12:09 PM
Administrator

You're a camera guy.. What if your cameras had a plastic lens? In a plastic housing that would be used outdoors? On a stem mount with a poorly machined thumbscrew to hold it in place.. which might also be plastic?

What I am getting at is if you feel that $1000 is too much for a camera system, then you may need to reconsider what you are looking to accomplish with your budget.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2016-01-28, 02:33 PM
Regular User

I don't need a whole-home surveillance system but I was considering getting a FLIR FX for monitoring the front door. Their Rapid Recap software might be gimmicky but it sure does look cool.
Old 2016-01-28, 03:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
You're a camera guy.. What if your cameras had a plastic lens? In a plastic housing that would be used outdoors? On a stem mount with a poorly machined thumbscrew to hold it in place.. which might also be plastic?
Plastic?? Noo! Nooooooooooooooo!