Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2017-11-01, 01:54 PM
Regular User

Default Patio stones

Is there any code for patio stones? See attached picture of patio stones laid out by the builder. They pose safety risk for anyone who are walking over it. any thoughts on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4179.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	671.3 KB
ID:	14257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4178.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	602.1 KB
ID:	14258  
Old 2017-11-01, 02:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysonnet View Post
Is there any code for patio stones? See attached picture of patio stones laid out by the builder. They pose safety risk for anyone who are walking over it. any thoughts on this?
To what safety issues are you referring? The raised "bump"? The distance between steps?
Old 2017-11-01, 05:34 PM
Regular User

If there are any trip hazards on your patio stone walk then you could put that on your one year list but beyond that you are on your own. This is not noted as an issue within Tarion Rules. This is a maintenance issue.
Old 2017-11-01, 05:35 PM
Regular User

I would say everything
  • Raised Bump
  • Gap between stones
  • Stone lifts up itself when stepped on the corner
  • Minimal coverage into porch area. Ideally, there should be at least 4-5 stone width
Old 2017-11-01, 05:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
If there are any trip hazards on your patio stone walk then you could put that on your one year list but beyond that you are on your own. This is not noted as an issue within Tarion Rules. This is a maintenance issue.
Stone raise and risk of tripping when stepped on the corner. Alignment gets disturbed and using my boot, I need to kick the last stones to align them in straight. In particular, last stone leading to the driveway looks very dangerous. I hurt my left shoulder yesterday and few kids were at risk yesterday night when they accidentally stepped on the edges of the stone.

Last edited by alwaysonnet; 2017-11-01 at 05:41 PM.
Old 2017-11-01, 08:56 PM
Regular User

When did you buy your home?
Old 2017-11-01, 11:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysonnet View Post
Stone raise and risk of tripping when stepped on the corner. Alignment gets disturbed and using my boot, I need to kick the last stones to align them in straight. In particular, last stone leading to the driveway looks very dangerous. I hurt my left shoulder yesterday and few kids were at risk yesterday night when they accidentally stepped on the edges of the stone.
Add some lime stone screening under the corner of the stone or remove from the center of the stone to reduce the tipping from side to side.

I don't think these builder supplied stones are really meant to be a permanent fixture. Most times they are tossed in the garbage and replaced with a professionally built walkway.
Old 2017-11-02, 04:12 AM
Regular User

Stone slabs like those all tend to shift after they are initially put down. They will get worse over time until they settle and the ground underneath no longer compacts. As was previously stated just put some limestone down at the low corners to stop the slabs from rocking back and forth.
Old 2017-11-02, 10:10 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
When did you buy your home?
I moved in May 2017