Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2017-11-09, 02:59 PM
Regular User

Default Thermafoil cabinets?

I like the look of white cabinets, but I can only get them in thermafoil thru claridge builder, unless i want to pay thousands to upgrade the kitchen to lv4 to get white-painted wood cabinets. does anyone have any thoughts/advice on installing thermafoil vs wood? I am worried about 'decreasing the value of my home' by putting in the thermafoil cabinets, and wondering if I should just go with wood cabinets even if it's not the color I want?

Thanks!
Ann
Old 2017-11-12, 05:08 AM
Regular User

I have thermafoil cabinets now. They délaminage after about 7 years. Nice, but the edges unglue after a while.
Old 2017-11-13, 07:49 AM
Regular User

Like any cabinets, thermos can have issues above cooktops, but generally are much more durable and clean more easily than white painted wood. White painted cabinets get marked up from looking at them sideways, especially the lowers, and can be difficult to clean and very hard to touch up.

If you do a lot of actual cooking, or have kids, white painted cabinets aren't the best choice.

Last edited by Rottn; 2017-11-13 at 07:53 AM.
Old 2017-11-13, 08:37 AM
Regular User

Default Thermo cab

I think the painted mdf white cabinets look way better. Mostvkitchen centers will suggest getting the island ( part of kitchen that gets the most abuse) in wood.

Some of my thermo white cabinets are peeling (top drawers, Anything nearvoven, dishwasher..).

Next kitchen, I'm getting a durable stained wood island ( and putting the sink, trash and dishwasher in there), and painted cabs on the perimeter of kitchen. It's a durable option.
Old 2017-11-13, 12:21 PM
Regular User

thank you both for your input. I went ahead with the mdf thermafoil white cabinets for the kitchen and bathrooms. I didn't want to get the wood cabinets only to darken up the kitchen (the ones available to me without a huge upgrade are all maple and darker colors). I guess even 7 years out, I'm ok if the thermafoil cabinets need a facelift of some sort. I do have kids and I cook atleast 4 times a week mostly on the stove, but we're going with an induction range so hopefully the heat issue isn't going to be a big deal. tho we do run the dishwasher nightly, so not sure if there is anything to do to redirect the heat away from our cabinets from that?