Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2017-12-09, 12:42 PM
Regular User

Any update on this?

Im troubled because whatever that black crud is, its airborne in your house. You are breathing it.
Old 2017-12-11, 03:33 PM
Regular User

I have no updates on this. No rep from builder contacted me.

Do you suggest anyone to visit my home and do an inspection.

My son is coughing a lot during night times, Do you think this black crud could be a potential problem.

My home is a town home and don't have HRV installed. Moreover, I am new to all these terms (HRV, Black Crud, heat exchanger). So, it I don't have any clue whats going on.

@good2know can you visit my home and see what's going on. I appreciate your inputs and response here.
Old 2017-12-11, 05:06 PM
Regular User

Call in a hvac gas technician. They can check the integrity of the heating system.

They have the equipment and knowledge to diagnose the issues... Including combustion analysis of furnace and water heater..

I wouldnt wait on the builder if there is a safety concern..

Your son should see a doctor.. Could be related or unrelated.
Old 2017-12-11, 05:12 PM
Regular User

yep. I am on calls to get HVAC technician home. Hopefully, I will get someone today.
Old 2017-12-11, 10:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysonnet View Post
My son is coughing a lot during night times, Do you think this black crud could be a potential problem.
Don't delay taking your son to the doctor. If there's mold in the air and he's breathing this into his lungs, it's very serious!

My daughter was admitted into Sick Kids Hospital with pneumonia at 15 months after weeks of coughing that wouldn't go away...it's nothing to take lightly.
Old 2017-12-13, 04:34 PM
Regular User

My son was coughing because humidity levels were set very low. This is adjusted now.

HVAC guys visited my home and did combustion analysis. Everything looks good. For the black soot, one probable reason could be from the debris that may have fallen on the heat, burnt and make the carpet look dirty. He vacuumed the whole place and found wood pieces. His justification make sense to me. Overall, I am happy with the HVAC consultant.
Old 2017-12-14, 04:25 PM
Regular User

alwaysonnet there is something here that does not make sense to me

You explained above that you regularly changed the furnace filter. Did you change it since the furnace stopped running in the spring/summer?

If yes, and if the black came back during the summer, then the black is not caused by the furnace burner.

Based on the carpet stains - which is caused by dirty air blowing through it - your entire furnace duct system has been contaminated by whatever this is. And you and your family are breathing it.

The builder should pay for the entire duct system to be cleaned.

If it were me, I would take a sample of the black crud to a lab to find out what it is.

The notion that some construction material in the ducts caused this is a total lie. The air never gets hot enough to cause wood smoke unless there is a serious malfunction which could burn the house down.

Please do not accept the story they have given you.
Old 2017-12-14, 04:47 PM
Regular User

I moved in May 2017. Filters were getting dirty and I changed them every 1 month. Since I was living around construction zone I thought filters were dirty in no time. I confirmed the same thing with builder rep and they confirmed me the same. During summer time, there was no black soot on the filters.

When I turned my heat ON during the cold days (1 month prior to today), filter got too black and carpet got black around heat registers. I still have the filter with me now. I changed a filter 2 weeks back and it looks normal now. HVAC guys took out everything from the furnace and inspected everything.

black crud to a lab -> I can submit to lab. May I know where should I submit?

I paid myself for HVAC inspection. I am feeling confused what to do now?

Last edited by alwaysonnet; 2017-12-14 at 05:20 PM.
Old 2017-12-21, 01:48 PM
Regular User

Wood got into the combustion chamber? That can't be good. Explains a lot, though. Workers often end up having offcuts falling into ducts, but usually the problem is just air blockage. You had a hybrid furnace for a while. Too bad it wasn't designed as such.

If the tech says it's all burned out and the furnace is undamaged, I guess you monitor things. But yeah, your ducts were acting like a chimney for a while. That needs to be cleaned professionally. I think duct cleaning is usually oversold. Not in your case.
Old 2017-12-22, 11:32 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysonnet View Post

When I turned my heat ON during the cold days (1 month prior to today), filter got too black and carpet got black around heat registers. I still have the filter with me now. I changed a filter 2 weeks back and it looks normal now. HVAC guys took out everything from the furnace and inspected everything.
If your purchase agreement included having the ducts cleaned before occupancy (most of them have that in there), I would go back to the builder and tell them that they didn't do this and now need to clean the ducts and any part of your house that was affected. You may never get all the stain out of those carpets.