Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2018-03-07, 09:53 AM
Regular User

Default Urgent! Sump pump question

Hello, I am house sitting while my parents are on vacation and I don<t understand my fathers system. I called him and he said he lets the water get high so the pump does not run all the time.

The way the float is setup the water has to be over the weeping tile tubes in order to start. However, I shaked it and emptied the sump pump hole and the weeping tile tubes started to pour water like there was no tomorrow.

My dad says all is fine, but I don<t think he understands what I am trying to explain. If the water gets above the tubes, will the weeping tiles continue to fill the hole ? I feel like it will backlog in the weeping tiles causing water around the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	519.9 KB
ID:	14376  
Old 2018-03-07, 10:13 AM
Regular User

Oops this was posted in the wrong section. Admin please move sorry!!
Old 2018-03-07, 09:24 PM
Regular User

the water is coming from the tubes and filling the sump. This normal..

IT can be continuous depending on the location and amount of water in the area.

Im not expert. Where i lived with one in Kemptiville it ran on occasion.

I had been in a old home in Brockville once and it looked like a river was running through the system in the spring.

as long as the water lever stays in the pit you should be ok I hope
Old 2018-03-07, 09:28 PM
Regular User

Phoned my dad and he basically said the same thing, as long as water stays in pit all is good.. I just don't understand how the weeping tiles can empty in the pit if the pit water is above the weeping tile tubes that go in the pit...

That means it needs to accumulate in the weeping tiles.
Old 2018-03-08, 04:58 PM
Regular User

Here is a basic fact of water flow and levels. The water will rise inside the house to the same level as outside. That's how people end up with 6 inches of water in the basement.

Your Dad is making a mistake. The drain pipes are sitting beside the footings. If the water rises above the pipes, it can leak into the house through the cracks where the walls sit on the footings, and where the floor slab sits on the footings.

He is also not saving any money. Once the level is set and reached, the pump will remove all the water that flows into the pit. The flow rate is the same regardless of the level.

If you are in clay, this is especially dangerous. The water has no where else to go.
Old 2018-06-21, 05:35 PM
Regular User

It appears as if the float that turns on the pump is getting stuck under one of the pipes going into the side of the pit. This will prevent it from rising with the incoming water in order to turn on the pump. The float should not ever be stuck under the water.

To test the pump - lift up the float and the pump should turn on. Let the float down and the pump should turn off.

NOTHING should obstruct the float in any way. It should be able to rise and fall in the pit without hitting the walls of the pit or hitting any pipes leading into the pit.

Side notes -

That particular brand of sump pit is IMO the worst one on the market. The prominent horizontal ridges of the pit are also a major cause of problem because sump floats often get stuck under the water.

IMO the length of cord between the pump and the float is too long and should have been set up so it is shorter.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2018-06-21 at 05:38 PM.
Old 2018-06-22, 10:05 AM
Regular User

Although I live in the city and have no sump pump, this is an informative thread (and great to see the help being offered too).
Old 2018-06-26, 05:53 PM
Regular User

Informative thread if I ever need this info in future
Thanks