Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2018-10-17, 10:32 AM
Regular User

Default Tankless vs tank based water heater

I am looking into a new build house for the second time - this time I am asking that the builder install a water heater and include in the mortgage rather than renting one.

Does the installation cost for a tank based system differ vs a tankless system?

These are the heaters I am looking at. Any input on these choices? I am also looking for input as to the savings of the tankless vs the tank based system. The house will use propane not natural gas so would be more sensitive to gas usage.

Would a unit like the 45HI be able to supply a normal households hot water in our winters where the required delta T is likely 70 F?

It seems like drain water heat recovery may not be cost effective in terms of payback period, but I wonder if it would make up for the lower BTU count of the 45HI.

Rinnai V65iP: https://www.build.ca/RINV65IN

Eccotemp 45HI: https://www.costco.ca/Eccotemp-45HI-...100311947.html

Eccotemp EL22i (same specs as the 45HI, just newer).: https://ca.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-el2...-water-heater/

tank:

GSW 50: https://www.lowes.ca/water-heaters/g...rchTerm=gsw-50

Last edited by dvg; 2018-10-17 at 11:29 AM.
Old 2018-10-18, 11:27 AM
Regular User

There is a structural change associated with installing a tankless heater (a vent), and it needs to be determined pretty early on in the process - I believe it's to the tune of appx $800-$900 + HST.

Which builder are you going with? As I understand it, and someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, if you get a tank with an efficiency rating over 90%, the difference in savings is negligible. Also, if you consider the potential for power failures, you'd be S.O.L with a tankless.
Old 2018-10-18, 08:55 PM
Regular User

if i had a builder willing to play ball and the basement elevation allowed it to fit, i would install one of these..

https://www.bradfordwhite.com/direct-vent-gas-models

no power needed, no noise.
Old 2018-10-19, 12:53 PM
Regular User

It turns out the house has to be tankless for energy efficiency standard of the builder so I dont have a choice aside from which tankless unit we get. I found out all the units I listed before are likely too small for Canada - now looking at:

GSWT-310-P

GSWT-540H-P

Rinnai RL75iP

Rinnai RU160iP

Bosch Therm 940ES

Rheem Tankless RTG-84DV

Takagi T-K3
Old 2018-10-19, 12:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg View Post
It turns out the house has to be tankless for energy efficiency standard of the builder so I dont have a choice aside from which tankless unit we get. I found out all the units I listed before are likely too small for Canada - now looking at:

GSWT-310-P

GSWT-540H-P

Rinnai RL75iP

Rinnai RU160iP

Bosch Therm 940ES

Rheem Tankless RTG-84DV

Takagi T-K3
I mean, tank heaters fall under energy efficiency standards if they are above 90% efficiency...

You should check in with your builder that you can have them install your own... ours is pretty open and that wasn't an option.

Last edited by JCC; 2018-10-19 at 01:04 PM.
Old 2018-10-19, 05:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I mean, tank heaters fall under energy efficiency standards if they are above 90% efficiency...

You should check in with your builder that you can have them install your own... ours is pretty open and that wasn't an option.
I dont think there are any tank heaters with efficiencies that high - aside from electric.

They are open to installing one of my choice - these are all options I am researching myself.

I think Ive settled on this heater - the hot idle feature to eliminate the cold sandwich problem is pretty trick.

Rheem ECOH180DVLP-2