Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2016-12-12, 01:27 PM
Regular User

just remember that what you're trying to do could have the unintended side-effect of degrading her neighbours' wifi.

but, if you're convinced this is what you want to do, forget 5ghz wifi and focus on 2.4. 5 attenuates too quickly in a concrete building.
Old 2016-12-17, 03:21 PM
Regular User

Hi guys, I am happy to report there has been solid progress. I borrowed a stronger router from a buddy (Asus RT-AC87U) and used it as a primary access point in Fam A's apartment on the 5th floor.

Fam B on 4th floor can still pick up the SSID but now the speed is about 4.10 Mbps vs 0.3 Mbps with the TP-Link AC1750 before!

I don't know if an extender or another router acting as a repeater can really boost it up further but I will continue to experiment and this is a really good start. I'll pay my buddy for the Asus router, get Fam B an iPad for Christmas and he can start going online right away

I know 4 Mbps is like ancient for us here but for a senior who has never used the Internet before, that will be lightning quick and best of all, he doesn't have to pay for that

Thank you once again for all your valuable suggestions and feedback guys. Remember to keep trying and finding solutions, we are Canadians, we are well-known for our resourcefulness...where there is a will, there is a way!
Old 2016-12-17, 04:01 PM
Regular User

I would guess that an extender would help strengthen the signal even more and would allow them to move around with the iPad and have a consistant signal. We used to spend our summer's on the east coast in a trailer on my parents property. The trailer was about 200 feet from my parents WiFi router, which we put just inside a window, and we couldn't get the signal at all with our iPad or cell phones. With a cheap extender (d-link dap-1320) we could get the signal and use the iPad without any problem getting 3-5 Mbps everywhere within 30 feet of the trailer which was very usable.