Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2018-01-30, 02:59 PM
Regular User

Default Air Conditioner Temperature Readings

I am hoping someone familiar with HVAC can offer some advice for me! We are locked into a battle with our builder about our A/C unit's lackluster performance.

We had four visits from our builder's HVAC supplier to deal with our cooling issues. Each visit was by a different tech and only focused on one piece of our puzzle (1- filled low coolant, 2-turned up fan CFM, 3-air flow balancing, 4-did nothing, said the unit was too small). Then the builder said they were done. And now here we are!

A/C stats: 2.0ton, 16 SEER, 2850sq ft Energy Star house plus 500sq ft builder-finished basement

My question
The airflow guy that came recorded all the temps from each of our vents and was very concerned about the temp readings. He said that he expected to see 16C or lower from each vent.

It was 24C outside, house was set to 20C. Temp readings from vents on 1st floor ranged from 18.5-19.6C. 2nd floor ranged from 17.9-18.6C.

What does this all mean? Is our unit defective? Is it improperly sized? We are about to go into Tarion conciliation and are really trying to understand what we need from the HVAC supplier to fix this problem? (Note: I do intend to hire an outside HVAC company to do an independent assessment once summer rolls around so this thread is more to get an idea of what we might be looking at....)