Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2018-07-28, 01:53 AM
Regular User

Default Kentwood hardwood floor quality?

Hi,

our constructor is installing Kentwood engineered hardwood floor. It is really difficult to find information on this brand. It is probably made in China like most the hardwood engineer floors these days.

Is the quality acceptable? We have a dog.

Also, is installing hardwood in a kitchen worth it as an investment? The constructor recommends it but still feel weird about it since hardwood could get easily damaged with water.

I am tempted to go laminate(included...not an upgrade) and re-evaluate our needs in the future.
Old 2018-07-30, 03:38 PM
Regular User

Laminate? No thanks.

We've had hardwood the last 4.5yrs in our current home and 2yrs in our previous home and aside from the uniform look and "softness" compared to a tile, unless you leave a giant puddle there for a week, water spills/drops aren't going to damage your floor unless you leave it there for an extended period...which we've never experienced.

I wouldn't skimp to save money - you might regret it.
Old 2018-08-03, 08:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBobby View Post
We have a dog.

I am tempted to go laminate(included...not an upgrade) and re-evaluate our needs in the future.
I had hardwood in my last place and the dog left nail marks in the floor (she was a big dog). We had to be careful when we moved furniture around as well. As a result, in my new place I chose a laminate. A good quality laminate wears well, looks good and is resistant to scratches. (the cheap stuff is just that)

Not everyone choice, but it works well for me.