Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2018-10-31, 12:47 PM
Regular User

Default HRV bypass for night purging of heat in summer

Im looking for some way to automatically exchange the house air with outside air whenever the temperature outside is closer to the desired temp. IE in summer, would like a way to exchange air at night to cool the house without running A.C.

Does anyone know of any solutions that would allow this?

The closest I can think of is a programmable HRV controller. Kind of sucks that it would maintain the heat though. Doesnt quite defeat the purpose since HRVs arent 100% efficient but would be preferable if I could get some different core that does not exchange heat between the airpaths.
Old 2018-10-31, 03:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg View Post
Im looking for some way to automatically exchange the house air with outside air whenever the temperature outside is closer to the desired temp. IE in summer, would like a way to exchange air at night to cool the house without running A.C.

Does anyone know of any solutions that would allow this?

The closest I can think of is a programmable HRV controller. Kind of sucks that it would maintain the heat though. Doesnt quite defeat the purpose since HRVs arent 100% efficient but would be preferable if I could get some different core that does not exchange heat between the airpaths.
Your main problem is humidity. The air is quite humid in the summer, especially at night. And having a higher relative humidity level will make it feel warmer. So you bring in cooler air to make it feel cooler but you also bring in humidity which makes it feel warmer. The result is cool, clammy air.

I guess you could try using an ERV instead which exchanges both heat and humidity. We have one, and do run it much of the summer, but don't have it on a timer.

Of course your cheapest solution is keeping windows open but rain makes that tougher.
Old 2018-11-01, 05:20 PM
Regular User

good point. will see if they can just upgrade it for me at a price. Looks like the cost delta is ~ $200 with a 60H