Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2015-02-12, 11:43 AM
Regular User

Default Polished porcelain tiles

We are buying at Valleybrooke by Medallion in Vaughan. Thinking of upgrading to polished porcelain tiles in kitchen and master bath, its significantly more expensive that semi-polished or matte porcelain or ceramic tiles. What do you guys think, is it a good investment for this area? or it likely wont be appreciated. By not doing this I would be saving atleast 8K. Thoughts?
Old 2015-02-12, 04:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangii77 View Post
We are buying at Valleybrooke by Medallion in Vaughan. Thinking of upgrading to polished porcelain tiles in kitchen and master bath, its significantly more expensive that semi-polished or matte porcelain or ceramic tiles. What do you guys think, is it a good investment for this area? or it likely wont be appreciated. By not doing this I would be saving atleast 8K. Thoughts?
Save your $$$! Go with a matte finish IMO. Plus having glossy tiles in a bathroom might not be the best idea
Old 2015-06-01, 01:28 PM

Default Wrought iron railing

I tried searching but couldn't find a good thread on the subject.
I was wondering if anyone knows of someone who installs wrought iron railing?
not the iron pickets but the fancy looking curly iron works.
Appreciate any help.

Thanks
kim
Old 2015-10-06, 05:04 PM
Regular User

Default Ceiling High – Upper level

Please advise if 9’ ceiling height on upper level is worth? I have 9’ on the main floor.
Thanks,
VOHE
Old 2015-10-06, 05:54 PM
Regular User

Not to me anyway
Old 2015-10-07, 09:20 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOHE View Post
Please advise if 9’ ceiling height on upper level is worth? I have 9’ on the main floor.
Thanks,
VOHE
Tough question to answer. It really comes down to your person taste and how much the builder is charging for it. In the resale market a home with 9' foot second floors will probably not command a premium over one with 8 foot second floors. Definitely don't expect to get back what your builder charges you. But if you like it a lot more, and the price is reasonable then go for it.
Old 2015-10-07, 10:57 AM
Regular User

Default Upgrades

Thanks Guys for the response. I have an appointment with Decor tomorrow so I really need expert advice.
(a) Upgraded kitchen from the builder or do it after the closing?
(b)Tiles (Polished porcelain / Marble or standard Ceramic) for Kitchen and washroom take it from the builder or do it after closing?
(c)On main floor except LR and FR all the area is tiled (including Hallway) I am not a fan of tiles but what you guys suggest to reduce the tile area or leave it as is?
Hardwood definitely I will do after closing.
Thanks
VOHE