Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2008-10-27, 12:32 PM
Regular User

Default Blower in the fireplace

Some one get installed fan in the fireplace (blower) after closing? What was the cost and how easy or difficult that was?
Old 2008-10-27, 01:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-2 View Post
Some one get installed fan in the fireplace (blower) after closing? What was the cost and how easy or difficult that was?
I'm interested in knowing this too. Mattamy charges $533 for the fan kit for the fireplace. Is this feature worth it? Can we do this after closing ourselves?
Old 2008-10-27, 02:52 PM
Regular User

I have a question regarding the entry doors from the garage into the home. Maybe Greg, you might know as this pertains to falconcrest specifically (I think you are falconcrest?)

I opted not to get the entry door as I heard a lot of people ended up not getting them because of grading problems - my grading is fine and I saw on my last visit that they have the doorway as per the plans - minus the door of course. (see pic below)

So my question is, do you know if these are framed properly for a door underneath and all that needs to be done is strip the drywall off and buy a door/install steps? Obviously I can't be 100% sure without ripping it off, but I'm wondering based on experience, if you've done any or know anyone who's installed their own for falconcrest? Thanks!

Old 2008-10-27, 11:30 PM
Administrator

I can tell you just by the picture that there is a stud in the middle. But that doesn't mean they did not frame it with the proper header and studs.

Ask your site super to see what they did.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2008-10-27, 11:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
I can tell you just by the picture that there is a stud in the middle. But that doesn't mean they did not frame it with the proper header and studs.

Ask your site super to see what they did.
Yeah that's true... I guess on the walk-through I'll just ask and hope they tell me. I don't see why they would care either way.
Old 2008-10-28, 08:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
You also need to compare costs and do a little math.

To do hardwood floors after closing might cost you, say, $6000. But that's $6000 you have to have in cash, ready to spend. On the other hand, you might pay the builder $8000 to do it, and have it rolled into your mortgage. It might be easier to pay the extra monthly payments on your mortgage. You will, however, pay interest on that.

Also, rolling it into your mortgage means you might not end up paying for it all, ever. If you roll the cost of the upgrade into a 25-year mortgage, and move out after 10 years, you've only paid for a proportional cost of the upgrade rather than paying for the whole thing up front. Again, you do pay interest on the amount that you did pay for.
If the builder was only to charge $2000 more for hardwood than what it would cost for you to do it after close than I think it is more likely people would go with the builder. However, if it costs you $6000 after close it was more likely it would have cost you $12-15K to do it through the builder. Builders usually charge approx $14-16 a square foot for hardwood. After market is much cheaper approx $5-8 a square foot installed.

You are not only paying for the hardwood on your mortgage if you go through the builder but an very inflated price as well.
Old 2008-10-28, 11:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd1 View Post
If the builder was only to charge $2000 more for hardwood than what it would cost for you to do it after close than I think it is more likely people would go with the builder. However, if it costs you $6000 after close it was more likely it would have cost you $12-15K to do it through the builder. Builders usually charge approx $14-16 a square foot for hardwood. After market is much cheaper approx $5-8 a square foot installed.

You are not only paying for the hardwood on your mortgage if you go through the builder but an very inflated price as well.
I think as a general rule of thumb, most builder upgrade costs are double what it would cost you if you shopped around after closing - at least that has been my experience.
Old 2008-10-29, 12:49 AM
thunderbolt

Nanners - In response to the fan kit .... Yes it is expensive, but personally I find it worth it. Without a fan kit, the warm air simply circulates around the front of the fireplace (bad if you have a screen mounted above). With the fan kit, the warm air is blown forward into the room.

Three things you get when paying the builder for the fan kit:
1) Fan kit with thermostat control (mounted below fireplace)
2) On/Off switch mounted on wall
3) Electrical outlet installed below fireplace

You can buy a fan kit and thermostat and install it after the fact.
As I haven't priced the components I cannot speak with the price difference (probably less, but also need additional wiring of switch and electrical outlet).
Old 2008-11-01, 12:04 AM
Regular User

Default Kitchen Cabnites

Can we replace doors of few kitchen cabnites with the glass doors after closing. From builder it is about 450 per cabnit. How easy and cost affecting is this after closing?

Which cabnites are better Thrmofoil or Oak???
Old 2008-11-01, 01:17 PM
Regular User

Most cabinet shops will convert your doors to glass ones - call for prices to be sure. Don't forget to upgrade the inside of your now-visible cabinets as well.

Thermofoil are cheap (ie: plastic), but goot in damp areas and clean up well- imho, looks tacky in any colour other than white. Oak is a less popular choice these days, with a very prominent grain.