Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2008-03-04, 10:29 PM
Regular User

Default Security, Video doorbell, and Home Automation

Finally had our first meeting with the low-voltage subcontractor. I've decided to put most of my cat5/cable drops on the second floor and get one or two conduits put in. I figure anything that they offer that can be done after closing (central vac, garage doors) may as well be done after closing.

Regarding security, I know there's some debate over the value of a security system and/or monitoring, but should I consider having it put in anyway? I would think it's pretty hard to put in after the fact beacuse of all of the window sensors and I wouldn't want unnecesary holes in the walls.

Also I would like a video doorbell since the we have solid front doors. They offer the "teledoorbell" for $2K!!! How difficult is it to put something lilke this in after closing? Any recommendations for a video doorbell? I like the idea of putting the video on the tv but I think I would also like a small intercon screen as well.

I would also like to implement some Home automation. What systems are good out there? And how do these tie in with the doorbell, security and garage openers?

Thanks!
Old 2008-03-04, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Teledoorbell is pretty much it. I've installed a few of them. You just need a run of cat5 to the doorbell location, so at least get them to do that.

$2K may sound like a lot, but what all does that include? Video distribution? RF modulator?

For security, usually builders will include wiring for 2 motions and a keypad. If you want all the windows and such done, getting it done before the drywall is always helpful.

For Home Automation, there is a lot of different options. Really depends on how automated you are looking to go. Prewiring for this is also a tremendous advantage. However lighting control may require some specific electrical work done.

I sell Colorado vNet for mid-end and Crestron for high end.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2008-03-05, 12:33 PM
Regular User

Teledoorbell $2K i believe includes everything (tapping into the phone lines and cable feed) Probably doesn't install very cleanly for digital cable tho. Still seems a little pricey to me.

Those Home Automation systems look pretty slick! Do they "retrofit" to work with the existing climate/security systems? I'm guessing those systems use proprietary communication? How would these compare to the open (?) standards like x10, Insteon, or Zwave?
Old 2008-03-05, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Teledoorbell $2K i believe includes everything (tapping into the phone lines and cable feed) Probably doesn't install very cleanly for digital cable tho. Still seems a little pricey to me.
If you are looking to do an RF modulator with a digital cable box, you don't have much choice except to spend the big bucks on one that will work. The modulator alone is over $500.

It may be less expensive to just run extra RG6 to each TV and plug it into a video input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Those Home Automation systems look pretty slick! Do they "retrofit" to work with the existing climate/security systems? I'm guessing those systems use proprietary communication? How would these compare to the open (?) standards like x10, Insteon, or Zwave?
They do use a proprietary communication. Crestron can interface with just about everything on the planet, however not entirely 100% with DSC security yet.

Colorado vNet will work with Ademco security panels and AprilAire climate controls.

Both companies have wireless options.

Old 2008-03-06, 04:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
If you are looking to do an RF modulator with a digital cable box, you don't have much choice except to spend the big bucks on one that will work. The modulator alone is over $500.
Yikes. I have an analog cable RF modulator, frequency selectable from 1-125 or something from Radio Shack, and it was under $100 a few years ago. Never did deploy it, though.

Would probably be cheaper to distribute the doorbell video through a separate RCA or s-video input, and instead of flipping to your special doorbell channel 99, you just switch inputs on your TV.
Old 2008-03-06, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Exactly. The customs that I do cameras for I make sure I always sell an extra RG6 run to every TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
Would probably be cheaper to distribute the doorbell video through a separate RCA or s-video input, and instead of flipping to your special doorbell channel 99, you just switch inputs on your TV.

Old 2008-03-06, 07:35 PM
Regular User

Wait a minute

S-Video?

Isn't it high definition yet?
Old 2008-03-07, 04:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddassir View Post
Wait a minute

S-Video?

Isn't it high definition yet?
High definition viewing of who's at your front door? Sure, it's called opening the door
Old 2008-03-07, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Sure. You can put IP based cameras out there with megapixel resolutions, but at a couple of thousand dollars each, that may not be practical.

Old 2008-03-07, 08:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
High definition viewing of who's at your front door? Sure, it's called opening the door
Nope that would be much low definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Sure. You can put IP based cameras out there with megapixel resolutions, but at a couple of thousand dollars each, that may not be practical.
I m more of a get it cheapest and right kind of guy. My 42" plasma is from walmart for $799. I would definitely not spend thousands.. But I still can't stand watching anything below 1080i on my TV..