Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-04-07, 01:38 PM
Regular User

Question Wiring A Video Intercom

Hi,

1) Basically I have pre-installed 2 16-gauge wires for the purpose of installing an intercom system.

2) The intercom I want to install have 6 wires receptacles for each of the indoor and outdoor unit
1.Code line
2. Audio wire, Call wire, Unlock Wire
3.Ground Wire
4.Video Wire
5.PS wire for intercommunication (what does PS stand for anyway?)
6.PS wire for camera

How should I wire the 2 16-gauge wires we have in our home to the 6 receptacles of the intercom system?

Thanks!

M & M
Old 2009-04-07, 02:15 PM
Administrator

It's somewhat hard to answer any of these questions without knowing what system you have.

So you have 4 conductors, but you need 6?

Did the spec for the intercom system state you needed only 4 conductors of 16g wire? Did it specify that it has to be 16?
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-04-07, 03:21 PM
Regular User

Question

I prewired my home for future installation of the intercom system. I was told that 2 16 gauge would be good for future installation of such system.

I now see a system I would like to install. So, before buying it, I had a read at the installation instructions and what I saw was the 6 receptacles which made me wonder how to use the 2-16 wires to install that system.

The system is the one at sunsecurity (www.sunsecurity.com).

My guess/thought is that the two PS wires receptacles (intercommunication and camera) could be used with my 2-16 wires for the install. Not sure if it will work. Need confirmation or other way to install.

Or I simply need to chose an intercom system that requires only 2 wires which I've seen but clearly not my most preferred one ($$$).

Thanks!

M & M

Last edited by m & m; 2009-04-07 at 03:35 PM.