Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2019-02-21, 09:33 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post

Pretty sure code requires a beam to have minimum 3 (maybe 4) inches surface on a beam pocket. The same should apply to the floor joists. If you have say 4 inches plus sitting on the I-beam you are good.
I tried to look at the beam last night but they are butted up tight together and with the duct work on either side I couldn't tell if the joists sat on one or both beams. Obviously the one side is sitting on both.

Once I get the framing from the bulkhead down I should be able to get up and get a better look.
Old 2019-03-15, 10:27 AM
Regular User

Not much for updates lately, been a lot happening keeping me from having time to work on the basement. Started pulling some of the old electrical to it up and remove it from the walls needing to come down.

I picked up 2 replacement jack posts yesterday to replace the ones removed by the PO. the plan is to get them installed this weekend so I can continue with removing a couple of the walls that need to come down.

Once they are down it should really open up the basement when you come down the stairs.

Before and after floorplan attached for reference.

I am also still debating adding in the post where the I-beam is, when I looked at it it looks like those blocks of wood are actually supporting the beam as well somehow as the I-beam looks like it is leaning a bit towards the other which would tell me it is holding the weight on that side.
I am guessing the floor is supported but the beam itself was sagging after they removed the post so that is how they held it up.

Once the new posts are in and the framing is down i will be moving on to removing the old vapour barrier and inspecting the insulation for for any signs of damage, moisture, mice ect and replacing as needed or if it is really bad removing it all and replacing it. I am hoping I only need to deal with a few sections being replaced and I can move on to the next project.

Not looking like I will get a lot of time to work this weekend but hopefully I can make some good progress still.

As a follow up to the first gutting project, I got my bill for the dumpster and we managed to haul up 7700lbs of garbage into the bin.
I would have put more but I ran out of room in the bin.
I am planning to get another bin in the future and will likely fill it again with what's left but since it will not be all drywall I don't expect it to be quite as heavy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floorplan.jpg (12.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 2019-03-17, 08:27 AM
Regular User

Like the new floorplan
Old 2019-03-17, 10:38 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Like the new floorplan
Thanks, still a bit of tweaking for the layout in the final space for planning lighting and electrical but I think I have the walls finalized now at least.
Old 2019-03-18, 11:08 AM
Regular User

Here are a couple before and after pictures from this weekends work.

First and second picture are when you first come down the stairs
the wall on the right will be coming down completely but it is helping keep the dust off our stuff being stored behind the plastic. The wall on the left will be moved back about 6' to really open it up and we are going to put in a small kitchenette for when we are hanging out downstairs.

The existing picture was taken standing in the storage space. None of the walls in the picture will be there when i'm done, just 2 posts.

3rd and 4th picture are from the opening at the bottom of the stairs looking across the room.

I managed to get the bulkhead down around the ductwork and pulled a lot of the old electrical out of the walls ceiling to get ready for a fresh start.

I also spent a couple hours just pulling the drywall screws from the walls and still have a long way to go on that.

I also attached a better picture of the beam/I-beam and how they are supporting each other... if you can call it that. I am thinking when they removed the post the original beam started sagging and this was their way to support it. Any suggestions for a better way to do it so i don't have to put the post back in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190318_074832.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	14652   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181127_223843.jpg
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	14653   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181127_224618.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	14654   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190318_074845.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	14655   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190318_074854.jpg
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	14656  

Old 2019-03-18, 11:10 AM
Regular User

2 more pictures, the original picture shows the wall where the new post was put up, it would be just left of the door in the picture.
That wall has been completely removed now as shown in the second picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181127_224037.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	14657   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190318_074840.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	14658  
Old 2019-03-20, 07:27 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIGUY View Post
I tried to look at the beam last night but they are butted up tight together and with the duct work on either side I couldn't tell if the joists sat on one or both beams. Obviously the one side is sitting on both.

Once I get the framing from the bulkhead down I should be able to get up and get a better look.
Hi. Have you had a chance to check this?

I keep thinking that if all the joists are on the steel beam, the wooden one isnt doing much.
Old 2019-03-20, 07:33 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Hi. Have you had a chance to check this?

I keep thinking that if all the joists are on the steel beam, the wooden one isnt doing much.
I got the old bulkhead down this past weekend but I haven't gone up to check the joists yet.
Old 2019-03-20, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Ok

Im scratching my head about additional support without a post.

Some sort of L shaped piece that sits on the beam and is tight to the side and bottom of the wood beam. That should stop it from dropping.

Best might be 1/4 steel bracket welded to the beam.

Concern is if that weight on the side of the beam might cause it to twist.
Old 2019-03-20, 11:26 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Ok

Im scratching my head about additional support without a post.

Some sort of L shaped piece that sits on the beam and is tight to the side and bottom of the wood beam. That should stop it from dropping.

Best might be 1/4 steel bracket welded to the beam.

Concern is if that weight on the side of the beam might cause it to twist.
I am concerned with it twisting the way it sits right now as well as the blocking all sits on the one side of the beam, if it is holding the weight of the beam it is all on one side.

What about a bracket still L-shape that goes under the wood beam and goes up and lag bolt to the joists? that way as long as the I-beam is holding the joists, the joists will hold up the beam.