Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-07-03, 12:19 PM
Regular User

Default Furnace fan noice

Hi all,

I just moved into my Minto home in Chapman Mills. The first thing I noticed in the first evening was the furnace fan noise. Furnace is not running (I put it in Off, meaning neither heat, nor cool), I put fan on ON, not Auto . The fan is very noisy, specially the rooms right above it, my office in first floor sits right above the furnace, it's so noisy and annoying, my master bedroom in second floor is in the same spot, it's also noisy, specially in the night when everywhere else is quite.

So do you guys have the same problem? Is it because furnace not installed properly or just because the furnace (Amana) is a bad noisy furnace? or it is just the fan? It's very bad as it's hard for me to get into sleep, and hard to work in the noisy office. I will put it in 30 day inspection. In the meantime, I hope somebody in this forum can give me some more clue.

Thanks
Old 2009-07-03, 12:26 PM
Regular User

when I set the thermostat to a setting that turns off the furnace and the fan to auto it is dead quiet. Is there any chance you are hearing the water heater?
Old 2009-07-03, 01:49 PM
Regular User

Amana/Goodman furnaces are made out of cheap thin stamped steel and are generally noisy compared to higher-end units, but they're not THAT noisy to prevent you from sleeping or working or anything.

Old 2009-07-03, 02:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgauvin View Post
when I set the thermostat to a setting that turns off the furnace and the fan to auto it is dead quiet. Is there any chance you are hearing the water heater?
I put fan alway ON to help to push the paint smell out of the house. I don't hear water heater.

It's actually not extremely noisy, but not a noice I would accept to be in my home 24/7.
Old 2009-07-03, 02:11 PM
Regular User

how many return air registers are in the home? i have seem some wislers before die to kack of return air,

your on setting will bring on the hi speed fan wich will be louder then the heating speed.
Old 2009-07-03, 02:13 PM
Regular User

call harding about the noise its there warranty, and put it on ur 30day, harding may respond quicker
Old 2009-07-03, 02:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshai View Post
I put fan alway ON to help to push the paint smell out of the house. I don't hear water heater.

It's actually not extremely noisy, but not a noice I would accept to be in my home 24/7.
hmm, well, when we put our fan to on, all we hear is the air whooshing noise. I wouldn't call it a whistle or anything off the sort, just the noise of air rushing out of the vents (some of them have ALOT of pressure)
Old 2009-07-03, 02:43 PM
Regular User

I had the same situation when I moved in. The HVAC came and they had to put duct tape around the furnace small door near the filter and it is not noisy at all after that.
I could hear the noise in the family room which is above the furnace.
Old 2009-07-03, 02:47 PM
Regular User

Ours runs all day and we can definitely hear the fan, particularly on the first floor. It drove me nuts at first but now I don't notice it.

The reason why we run the fan 24/7 is that we find that the house remains much more balanced in temperature. Surprisingly, our upstairs is the exact same temp as our main floor, and as our basement.

TK26: is it actually more energy efficient to run the fan all of the ime, as it circulates the air and balances the temp more (hence possibly less time for your AC unit to run) or am I wasting my money??
Old 2009-07-03, 03:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrietg View Post
Ours runs all day and we can definitely hear the fan, particularly on the first floor. It drove me nuts at first but now I don't notice it.
What did you do about it that you don't notice it any more? You just used to the noise?