Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2009-08-16, 09:58 PM
Regular User

Default OTA - Light fixture

I'm thinking of going with this fixture for our OTA Family Room. It is for a Countrywide Driftwood model so the family room isn't too big. I've just had a hard time picking out the right fixture. Right now our decor is pretty contemporary and informal. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arcade chadeliet.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	4566  
Old 2009-08-17, 12:59 AM
Regular User

It reminds me a bit too much of one of those fibre optic lights.

Old 2009-08-17, 08:09 AM
Regular User

All I can think of when I look at it is "there's just too many bulbs to replace!!" It's not that I don't like this fixture, just that it can be a pain changing those OTA bulbs when they go out, and when you have something like 20+ of those little ones that may not last as long, I can't imagine doing it constantly....
Old 2009-08-17, 02:04 PM
Regular User

if you plan to turn them on most of the time (mostly you will as it is in the family room), you will expect to change one after the other often. And you will probably have to get someone to change it for you with the 18 ft ladder.

I have the 9 ft OTA crystal lightings as well in the center of the staircase, but I usually don't turn it on as there are other lightings around , hopefully, it will last 3-5 years.......
Old 2009-08-17, 03:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linutor View Post
It reminds me a bit too much of one of those fibre optic lights.
... which is why I love it :P
Old 2009-08-17, 04:26 PM
Regular User

very good points to consider when considering light fixtures for OTA... So what have homeowners with over 14ft high ceilings do to change bulbs? RDX mentioned hiring someone to do this (sounds like $$). I was looking for step ladders on the internet, but I do not see ones that go this height.
Old 2009-08-18, 08:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito View Post
All I can think of when I look at it is "there's just too many bulbs to replace!!" It's not that I don't like this fixture, just that it can be a pain changing those OTA bulbs when they go out, and when you have something like 20+ of those little ones that may not last as long, I can't imagine doing it constantly....
Yes, I agree with you on that aspect. It would be a pain but we would get enough rods installed that it would hand at the midway point. That being said the bulbs are halogen and therefore not cheap. As for maintenance and cleaning i think that would probably not be such a big deal. I think this is the kind of fixture that you either love or hate.