Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-11-06, 10:26 AM
Regular User

Default During construction - What to look for?

I have read people post about how during the time your house is being built, you should visit it often and monitor it.

What kind of major things should I be looking for, as I'm not really experienced with construction work.

Thanks in advance.

Old 2009-11-06, 12:45 PM
Regular User

I'll give you some examples from my two new-home experiences. On the first home they built an opening for 1 window where there should have been 2. I called and they were able to change the framing before the brick was laid so it was easier for them to fix.

On my second (current) home we peeked in the windows and noticed that the plumbing for our powder room came up through the floor when it was supposed to be in the wall, so again we were able to call the builder and tell them to fix it before the painting and ceramic where in, again saving them time/money.

All these sorts of things can be fixed later on, but if you catch them early it's just that much better for you, and the builder. After you have the keys to the house fixing things means time off from work for you so they can access your home. There will always be things that need to be fixed after you move in, but the smaller those problems are the better. The kind of things you find during construction are usually pretty major.
Old 2009-11-06, 02:16 PM
Regular User

I would recommend checking all the duct work in the house before the drywall goes up. We had an issue with kinks and holes in the ducts…. All this has to be fixed before the drywall guys come in because they don’t care what’s in ur walls. They are paid to just come in and throw up drywall!
Old 2009-11-06, 04:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.K View Post
I would recommend checking all the duct work in the house before the drywall goes up. We had an issue with kinks and holes in the ducts…. All this has to be fixed before the drywall guys come in because they don’t care what’s in ur walls. They are paid to just come in and throw up drywall!
I second what T.K. said. Check ALL of the duct work and take digital pictures of ALL the deficiencies that you encounter.

With the number of holes in my basement's visible ductwork, I cringe to think about what's hiding behind the walls.

Pete
www.houselights.com
Old 2009-11-10, 05:12 PM
Regular User

We have been visiting our home quite frequently during construction.

Here is a link to an album from our latest visit which shows MANY mistakes that have to be fixed, most of which we are pretty upset about:

http://picasaweb.google.com/245sirbenson
Old 2009-11-10, 05:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amz155 View Post
We have been visiting our home quite frequently during construction.

Here is a link to an album from our latest visit which shows MANY mistakes that have to be fixed, most of which we are pretty upset about:

http://picasaweb.google.com/245sirbenson
What kind of mistakes do you mean? From the looks of your pics, most of the items appear like minor and mostly cosmetic that can easily be fixed. But nothing out of the ordinary for a builder home. ie. the door hinge installed slightly outward from the hinge cutout in the frame ...completely normal. The installer did that to make the door plum.
Old 2009-11-10, 05:46 PM
Regular User

So for those of you that found nail holes or kinks in your heating ducts, did you ask the builder to fix/patch them up or would you go in and patch them up yourself?
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-11-10, 06:27 PM
Regular User

Things like uneven hardwood floors, gaping holes between floors and trim, cracking door frames and trim, dents on cabinetry, missing nosing on stairs, crappy staining on stairs.....
Old 2009-11-11, 12:47 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
So for those of you that found nail holes or kinks in your heating ducts, did you ask the builder to fix/patch them up or would you go in and patch them up yourself?
we got permission to spend a day taping all the duct joints that would later be covered by drywall. we fixed a lot of holes/kinks at that time.
Old 2009-11-24, 09:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
What kind of mistakes do you mean? From the looks of your pics, most of the items appear like minor and mostly cosmetic that can easily be fixed. But nothing out of the ordinary for a builder home. ie. the door hinge installed slightly outward from the hinge cutout in the frame ...completely normal. The installer did that to make the door plum.
Wow guys, if you consider that many severe cosmetic mistakes as "normal", builders must love you. That was brutal! I can understand a few nicks and bumps, but their baseboards were elevated by half an inch, their flooring didn't reach the wall in a lot of places, among many, many other deficiencies. Let me tell you if I were a builder and one of my subs did that kind of work, they wouldn't be stepping foot on my building site again. Disgraceful.