Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-01-25, 01:23 PM
Regular User

Default Builder won't delete backsplash - code issue?

So we finalized all our upgrades a while ago, but we were informed today that we weren't allowed to delete the backsplash because we're getting granite (no counter splash like with a laminate top) and that a backsplash was needed for sealing (building code issue).

We'd already picked out a tile to install after closing, and i'm gonna assume it would cost 2-3x more to have it done through the building (a glass tile).

Is the building code issue true?

Is it much more expensive to have someone come in, tear out the builder's tile and put in the tile i wanted?

should we just bite the bullet and pay whatever ridiculous price it is to have the original tile we want installed by the builder?

Old 2010-01-25, 01:32 PM
Regular User

Our builder allows us to delete the backsplash with/without granite. Although, my sink is in the island... so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with anything?

Old 2010-01-25, 01:34 PM
thumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst View Post
So we finalized all our upgrades a while ago, but we were informed today that we weren't allowed to delete the backsplash because we're getting granite (no counter splash like with a laminate top) and that a backsplash was needed for sealing (building code issue).

We'd already picked out a tile to install after closing, and i'm gonna assume it would cost 2-3x more to have it done through the building (a glass tile).

Is the building code issue true?

Is it much more expensive to have someone come in, tear out the builder's tile and put in the tile i wanted?

should we just bite the bullet and pay whatever ridiculous price it is to have the original tile we want installed by the builder?

Ask them to quote the Buiding code section then check with the City.
Old 2010-01-25, 02:23 PM
Regular User

So i called the city and they never heard anything about that. But they forwarded me the contact info for the city building inspector that will be inspecting our home for the permits.

So i will be waiting to hear back from her about this before i give in to the builder.

Old 2010-01-25, 02:43 PM
Regular User

I have granite with no backsplash. definately not against code to do it that way see it all the time.

Old 2010-01-25, 03:00 PM
Regular User

And i just spoke with a backsplash installer (one that was recommended here) and they said there's nothing in the building code for that. he said around tubs, in the bathroom, etc there needs to be sealing, but not in the kitchen.

Old 2010-01-25, 05:46 PM
Regular User

barryst... as long as your counters are sealed against the drywall so that water can not get through there is no problem getting an occupancy certificate. This can be as simple as silicon chaulking or elaborate as high-end glass tile but the idea is to keep water from getting to any wiring along your counters. Sounds to me like someone at your builder heard secondhand, abbreviated, misinterpreted code like what often happens with over-stove microwaves or other hood fans. A stove is required to be vented but you do not have to buy it from the builder.

With regards to removing tile... it's not a big deal for a decent tile setter to do with only cosmetic drywall damage which does not need to be repaired before the new tiles are installed - unless it will show (different tile lay out). If the guy hauls out a 3 lbs sledge hammer be prepared for drywall repairs or replacement before setting any new tiles. As an example, it took me about an hour and a half to remove all tile from a large apartment sized kitchen with the only damage being the top layer of drywall paper coating pealing off with each tile... and I only do it from time to time - not all the time.
Old 2010-01-26, 01:05 AM
Regular User

We deleted ours with quartz without issue (and our quartz is also flat, no raised bit at the back). In fact, they didn't even seal it with silicone as they figured we'd be doing our own tiling afterward and wanted to save us the hassle of pulling out the silicone. We did ask them to seal it though as we knew it would be a while before we did our own backsplash.
This was only in September and they obviously got an occupancy permit no problem.

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...
Old 2010-01-26, 10:14 AM
Regular User

Thanks for all the replies!

So the city inspector got back to us and confirmed there's nothing in the building code that would require a backsplash in the kitchen.

the part of the code she quoted was this:
Quote:
9.29.2. Waterproof Wall Finish

9.29.2.1. Where Required

(1) Waterproof finish shall be provided to a height of not less than,

(a) 1 800 mm above the floor in shower stalls,

(b) 1 200 mm above the rims of bathtubs equipped with showers, and

(c) 400 mm above the rims of bathtubs not equipped with showers.

Nothing about Kitchens.

Old 2010-01-26, 10:34 AM
Regular User

So does this mean the builder was just trying to bully you into buying tiles from them?