Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-01-26, 10:38 AM
Regular User

Perhaps, but a backsplash was included in our agreement anyway. But maybe they assumed we would be upgrading our tile levels..

They said it was the construction manager who told them about this "restriction".. you'd think he'd know better?

Old 2010-01-26, 11:37 AM
Regular User

Either severely misinformed, or they're just trying to hide behind "it's against the Code" for something they simply don't want to do. Most customers would nod and say "oh, ok" figuring the Building Code is this big, complicated rule book and surely you wouldn't want to live in a house that doesn't meet code?

My builder told me "no" to basement-to-attic conduit, telling me "it's a fire hazard". Grr.
Incidentally, my builder also doesn't provide any standard backsplash (or at least they didn't in Phase 1) -- it would have been bare drywall.
Old 2010-01-26, 05:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggle7th View Post
So does this mean the builder was just trying to bully you into buying tiles from them?
You would be surprised to hear how often builders claim "code compliance" when in fact there is no issue at all. I believe it is just a lack of knowledge.
Old 2010-01-27, 09:49 AM
Regular User

Speaking of builders quoting "code compliance" does anyone know if it is code to have a hood fan installed or can the builder just install the ductwork/wiring so you can put your own hood fan in after closing? Our builder is saying it's against code yet a year ago they routinely did this as did other builders. Just curious. :-)
Old 2010-01-27, 10:01 AM
Regular User

one of the options we chose was to not have a fan installed, but instead have the rough-in for a future OTR microwave/fan

so get in touch with the city, they'll even put you in touch with the city inspector assigned to your house

Old 2010-01-27, 10:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara23 View Post
Speaking of builders quoting "code compliance" does anyone know if it is code to have a hood fan installed or can the builder just install the ductwork/wiring so you can put your own hood fan in after closing? Our builder is saying it's against code yet a year ago they routinely did this as did other builders. Just curious. :-)
They must install a hood fan AND have it properly wired in order to be tested for your home's Energystar compliance. That is likely the 'code' that is violated if they install the ducting and not have a working fan installed. That's what I have been told by my builder.

Previously, in non-Energystar homes, they could install the ducting/wiring and not have a hood fan in, so long as you sign off on the house or sign an addendum stating that you are deleting the hood fan.

Old 2010-01-27, 11:37 AM
Regular User

Getting back to the backsplash issue... seems to me that not only can your builder not stop you from not wanting the backsplash installed, but they should in fact offer you either a) a rebate, (b) a credit at the design centre, or (c) the boxes of tile so you can do your own backsplash after the counter is installed.

It's the same as when you ask them not to put a carpet in because you want to put in your own hardwood - they give you a discount for not having the carpet installed (it's small though).
Old 2010-01-27, 11:55 AM
Regular User

Are you sure about the carpet issue? Most banks won't issue a mortgage without flooring down, and subfloor is not considered proper flooring.
Old 2010-01-27, 12:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBridlewood View Post
Getting back to the backsplash issue... seems to me that not only can your builder not stop you from not wanting the backsplash installed, but they should in fact offer you either a) a rebate, (b) a credit at the design centre, or (c) the boxes of tile so you can do your own backsplash after the counter is installed.

It's the same as when you ask them not to put a carpet in because you want to put in your own hardwood - they give you a discount for not having the carpet installed (it's small though).
My builder wouldn't even entertain the conversation about this - I don't know how a house would get pass inspection without flooring.
Old 2010-01-27, 12:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post

My builder told me "no" to basement-to-attic conduit, telling me "it's a fire hazard". Grr.
Really?? Isn't your house a Mattamy? We have a basement-to-attic conduit lined up - it was an $290 structural upgrade.