Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2010-04-24, 10:49 AM
Regular User

Default Noise from 407

Well, we are going to finalize the purchase agreement in 3 days. My wife brought up the noise issue again.
She worried about the noise from 407.
We have been to the site serveral times. Of course you will hear the noise from 407 even when all the houses are up. But if you are in the house with windows closed, how is the noise level?
I have been living beside a high way for 3 years, so I will be ok with any level of noise.
Now I have to make sure she will be OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	6006  

Last edited by bonmot; 2010-04-24 at 11:03 AM.
Old 2010-04-24, 11:03 AM
Regular User

We have no problems with the noise from the Highway. It's actually really quiet... (we are north of Thomas Alton).
Old 2010-04-24, 11:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolgaOwner View Post
We have no problems with the noise from the Highway. It's actually really quiet... (we are north of Thomas Alton).
Cool, +1 point, I attached a map in the originall post to show location of the lot.
Old 2010-04-24, 11:07 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonmot View Post
Well, we are going to finalize the purchase agreement in 3 days. My wife brought up the noise issue again.
She worried about the noise from 407.
We have been to the site serveral times. Of course you will hear the noise from 407 even when all the houses are up. But if you are in the house with windows closed, how is the noise level?
I have been living beside a high way for 3 years, so I will be ok with any level of noise.
Now I have to make sure she will be OK.
Listen to your wife.

The first lot that we were going to go was next to a future major road (now currently being built). My husband was fine with it but I was worried about noise. In the end with the helpful comments from this forum we switched to a much quieter lot but with more neighbours. We are happy with the decision.

Do you really want to be at home with your windows closed all the time? Not a fun way to live. We rented an apt where we could see/hear the highway. I put up with it since it was close to work and only temporary. I expect that in rainy days you will hear more noise. The problem with highway noise is that it's constant day and night. Can't get away from it.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2010-04-24, 12:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikiki View Post
Listen to your wife.

The first lot that we were going to go was next to a future major road (now currently being built). My husband was fine with it but I was worried about noise. In the end with the helpful comments from this forum we switched to a much quieter lot but with more neighbours. We are happy with the decision.

Do you really want to be at home with your windows closed all the time? Not a fun way to live. We rented an apt where we could see/hear the highway. I put up with it since it was close to work and only temporary. I expect that in rainy days you will hear more noise. The problem with highway noise is that it's constant day and night. Can't get away from it.
Wow, it sounds like a marriage advice
Old 2010-04-24, 02:10 PM
Regular User

Default 407

We live on Deforest Crescent and can see the 407 from our library windows. I always have all my windows open on a nice day and I must say I have to stop and listen hard to hear any noise from the 407. Yes it is there in the background but it is not until someone mentions it that I bother to try to listen out for it. Even having our bedroom window open at night is ok as again it is a low background hum. I must admit when we bought the house I was very worried about noise as I find it difficult to sleep with sounds going on, but I can say hand on heart it has never bothered me.
I have just checked out your picture and from the look of it our house is a lot closer to the 407 than yours will be.
Hope this has helped.

Last edited by Susan; 2010-04-24 at 02:12 PM. Reason: adding some information
Old 2010-04-25, 09:18 AM
Regular User

Default Noise

Don't worry about the noise. If the manure smell comes back this summer you won't be opening the windows anyway. Must admit it didn't seem too bad last summer.
Old 2010-04-25, 10:10 PM
Regular User

Thank you everyone. "We" feel much better now.
Old 2010-04-26, 08:39 AM
Regular User

We are north of Thomas Alton and can see the 407 as well. During the day you would really have to listen to hear and noise from the 407 and I consider it a non issue. If I do notice it, the noise would mostly be on a cold, clear morning or a very rainy day. I think for us the noise is going to be more of an issue when Palladium Way opens up.
Old 2010-04-26, 09:04 AM
Regular User

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I don't think in the near future that stretch of the 407 will ever be like the QEW or 401/403.

Like someone else mentioned, Palladium Way would be more of an issue once the businesses are in place and people use palladium way as a dundas bypass.

All in all the area is quite quiet in non peak hours regardless of where you are aside from the odd drag race on appleby, someones stereo, or backfire of a Harley.