Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-11-25, 08:52 PM
Regular User

Default Jack for internet connections

Hi all, first ever post !

I just bought a new house with Tartan, and really looking forward to it!

I have a question about the outlets that are used for the Ethernet cables (not sure if I'm using the correct terms). Right now, Tartan is charging $90 per single jack (when it was $35 recently). Is it strongly recommended to go with the builders in this case? I'm considering hiring contractors for this work, but not sure if that may be ideal...

I'm a bit concerned since my basement will be finished, so it may be hard to fish the wires. I'm worried that the job may not be do-able, and I end up with no outlet for internet..

Lastly, if anyone has any positive experience with contractors that deal with this, I'd love to hear some recommendations (if this is permitted)..

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by r_dogs; 2010-11-25 at 11:37 PM.
Old 2010-11-25, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Jack, not outlet.

If your basement is going to be finished, then it is recommended that you do any extra wiring for your home during construction as doing it post closing will probably be a destructive process.

As for $90 per, that's less than the average here.

If you are looking to hire your own people to do this during construction, you may have a hard time getting them on the site since you are not the owner, or the 'constructor' of the house.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-11-25, 09:08 PM
Regular User

Thanks GregS for the quick response. I realize there will be possibility of a destructive process. Would it be (at most) punching a hole in the wall?

Just out of curiosity, what is the average per jack? (not "outlet", thanks for the correction)
Old 2010-11-25, 09:21 PM
Regular User

How many "Bell" connections do you get? They use ethernet cables for those as well. They are all connected at the box in the basement, and you can just switch the plugs around.

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2010-11-25, 09:36 PM
Regular User

Ask how many phone outlets you get, and what type of cable they use. Urbandale provided 5 finished phone jack but only 2 network cable runs (not finished as they charged extra for that). They used Cat5e for both, so i was able to just convert a phone jack into an ethernet jack easily.
I would also ask if Tartan provides a conduit that runs from attic to basement, this is extremely handy for 2nd floor cabling. With this installed, it will be much easier to run the cable down to the utility section of your basement. Urbandale also provided this for us (standard).

Old 2010-11-25, 09:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume View Post
How many "Bell" connections do you get? They use ethernet cables for those as well. They are all connected at the box in the basement, and you can just switch the plugs around.
We get 5 "Bell" connections. I currently use Rogers, so I did not know that they use Ethernet cables for those!

Thanks for the info.
Old 2010-11-25, 09:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball View Post
Ask how many phone outlets you get, and what type of cable they use. Urbandale provided 5 finished phone jack but only 2 network cable runs (not finished as they charged extra for that). They used Cat5e for both, so i was able to just convert a phone jack into an ethernet jack easily.
I would also ask if Tartan provides a conduit that runs from attic to basement, this is extremely handy for 2nd floor cabling. With this installed, it will be much easier to run the cable down to the utility section of your basement. Urbandale also provided this for us (standard).
Thanks goofball for the advice. I get 6 "Bell", and 5 "Cable". But they didn't specify whether or not I can swap them for network jacks? Maybe it can be an upgrade. I think it also mentioned that it uses Cat5e as well, but I'm not sure exactly what the benefit of that is. It sounds like (from your post) that I can convert that into an ethernet jack?

I'll ask about the conduit, as that will give me lots of flexibility!
Old 2010-11-25, 10:14 PM
Administrator

cat5 wiring can be used for all kinds of things. One of these things can be 'ethernet'.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-11-26, 12:10 AM
Regular User

If there's one basement location in particular that you want to have wired, you could pay for them to run a conduit from the central phone/cable entry point (probably by the fuse box) to whereever you will want the jack(s). Obviously this will also cost money, but perhaps it could somehow save you money depending on what you have in mind. We got a bunch of conduits, wish I'd had more installed, and gotten bigger ones...
Old 2010-11-26, 08:47 AM
Regular User

Hi Springwater: We're about to do our Orbital appointment on Tuesday for our Urbandale home so we have conduits on our brain! Just curious how many more would you have done and where would you have put them? We were going to do one in the bedroom and one in the living room but wondering if we should be doing more.

Thanks!
Sara