Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-05-17, 04:07 PM
Regular User

Default PLEASE HELP: Dryer plug does not fit wall outlet ???

Hello folks, we took possession of our new home 2 weeks ago and everything has been good so far. Best Buy delivered the washer/dryer yesterday and I tried my darndest but it was impossible for me to plug the dryer into the wall outlet (please see attached pictures)

I went to Future Shop/Best Buy to check other dryers and they have the same type of plugs. I asked an associate if he knows what's going on and after Googling for a few minutes, he told me I can get an adapter at Home Depot and remove the faceplate and make some changes to get it working?

I thought this is supposed to be Plug-n-Play? Am I even allowed to do this type of electrical work? I plan to call the builder when they open on Tuesday but if you guys have any idea, please let me know. Thank you very much!

This is the outlet for the dryer in the basement

This is the dryer plug

Old 2015-05-17, 04:38 PM
Regular User

Think you need this

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/30-a...eptacle/947947

Last edited by good2know; 2015-05-17 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Nope thats wrong .. The L goes the wrong way.
Old 2015-05-17, 04:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Yeah, it looks like the trade installed a range plug. The builder should fix the goof up.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/50-a...eptacle/947946
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2015-05-17, 04:46 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I will let the builder know on Tues and they should be able to fix it.

The new plug is only $5 bucks but I don't think I should be buying it. I should have pointed it out on PDI day but overlooked this.
Old 2015-05-18, 09:20 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut_B View Post
Hello folks, we took possession of our new home 2 weeks ago and everything has been good so far. Best Buy delivered the washer/dryer yesterday and I tried my darndest but it was impossible for me to plug the dryer into the wall outlet (please see attached pictures)

I went to Future Shop/Best Buy to check other dryers and they have the same type of plugs. I asked an associate if he knows what's going on and after Googling for a few minutes, he told me I can get an adapter at Home Depot and remove the faceplate and make some changes to get it working?

I thought this is supposed to be Plug-n-Play? Am I even allowed to do this type of electrical work? I plan to call the builder when they open on Tuesday but if you guys have any idea, please let me know. Thank you very much!

This is the outlet for the dryer in the basement

This is the dryer plug

I just closed my house 2 weeks ago in Monahan Landing, still waiting for my washer and dryer to be delivered, but this made me go check out my dryer recepticle. But it looks good, yeah they must've screwed up installation.
I would not wait for 30 days tbh, I'd go to cosntruction office and ask them if they can do it asap, since you do need to do laundry.