Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2021-02-18, 12:04 PM
Regular User

Default Example of electric panel

Would you please have a look at this picture and let me know which breaker is for the door bell button/system? The writing is horrendous
I just want to replace my door bell buttons. I am unable to find the correct breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PanneauElectrique.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	14813  
Old 2021-02-18, 03:35 PM
Regular User

Is the doorbell transformer attached to your electrical panel? If so, it will give you a rough ideal on which breaker it's on based on where it's installed. Mine was not labelled either. For me, it's on the same breaker as the electrical plug next to the panel. Worst case is you turn off power to the entire panel.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2021-02-19, 07:25 AM
Regular User

Answer above is good. Most of the time the doorbell transformer is attached to the side of the electrical panel. It is a square shaped device with small wires attached to it. Two wires from the transformer go to the bell and two go into the panel where they connect to a breaker. Most of the time they connect to a breaker that provides power to something else in house. When 2 black wires connect to a breaker this it called a double-tap. Double-taps are not permitted but when done with low voltage devices like transformers this is often overlooked by electrical inspectors.

In other words -

1) You will not be able to figure out which breaker provides power to the doorbell without opening the panel and this is hazardous to do for most home owners.

2) The breaker powering the transformer should be the only one in the panel with 2 wires connected to it.
Old 2021-02-19, 10:15 AM
Regular User

I wouldn't trust the labels regardless. Find your prime suspect breaker and turn it off. If the doorbell stops working, you probably found it. Confirm by turning that one breaker back on and making sure it comes back.
If it's not that breaker, start working your way down the line. Once you know for sure, update the label.
My doorbell was indeed double-tapped with another circuit.

Even when the labels seem clear, I'd never trust them and would always test the circuit after turning off the suspect breaker before messing around.
Old 2021-02-19, 01:06 PM
Regular User

I've never turned off the breaker for a doorbell, they don't run off much power.
Old 2021-02-19, 03:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMacpherson View Post
I've never turned off the breaker for a doorbell, they don't run off much power.
true, but if you accidentally short the circuit when you're swapping the doorbell, there's a good chance you'll be buying a new transformer.

if you're the type the throws the breaker instead of the switch to replace a light fixture, then you should probably throw the breaker for this as well.
Old 2021-02-21, 12:12 PM
Regular User

It's low voltage. Don't need to cut the breaker really
Old 2021-03-09, 01:28 PM
Regular User

Thank you everyone for your replies. I did not take any risk I called an electrician via https://www.homestars.com/. Costs = 190$
Old 2021-03-16, 01:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erka View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies. I did not take any risk I called an electrician via https://www.homestars.com/. Costs = 190$
Not judging, but 190$ could have been saved by following the advice given when asked...

Old 2021-03-17, 04:04 PM

Smile

hope all goes well for you buddy