Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2021-06-24, 09:58 AM
Regular User

Default $750 for Pots & Pans drawers. worth it?

My builder is charging me $750 for pots & Pans drawer and $100 extra for soft close.
Is it worth it?
I'm already paying $990 for soft-closing recycling center.
These upgrades are so expensive! should I bother with Pots & pans drawer or will I regret not getting one?
Old 2021-06-24, 12:26 PM
Regular User

Is that cost for one drawer or a bank of drawers?

I would suggest that you actually need at least 2 pot and pans drawers. One for your pots and pans and another for your dishes. Most cabinet uppers are too small for today's larger dinner plates. We store our dishes in a pull out pot drawer.
Old 2021-06-24, 03:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris_bloom View Post
My builder is charging me $750 for pots & Pans drawer and $100 extra for soft close.
Is it worth it?
I'm already paying $990 for soft-closing recycling center.
These upgrades are so expensive! should I bother with Pots & pans drawer or will I regret not getting one?
We changed our standard kitchen design with 1 pots/pans drawer + built-in microwave in the kitchen island to 3 equal drawers. The so called "pots & pans" drawers in our case differ from the normal ones, with side walls made of tempered glass in an aluminum frame, back is MDF, front is as per kitchen design. All drawers and doors in our kitchen are soft closing by default. This particular change was done for extra $450.00 in 2019, so the price might be lower compared with today's prices.
As for the practical side of those drawers, we need and use them more often than some of the smaller ones. We have one for pans, one for pots and one for miscellaneous backing pans and baskets. They were placed on purpose in the island vis-a-vis the stove, to shorten the working distances. A fourth (smaller) one, part of the original design, but far from the stove is still very useful for high jars filled with flour, sugar, cereals etc.
Old 2021-06-24, 04:42 PM
Regular User

If you can fit it in your budget, you should do it.

They hold way more than a regular cabinet would. Like a previous poster said, you get three drawers vs the two shelves you would normally get.

If you have a large, heavy pot buried in the back, you have to get on your hands and knees to lug it out and possibly move things out of the way were as with a drawer, it comes to you. And it's also so convenient being able to use your feet to open/close the drawers.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2021-06-24, 08:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaC View Post
Is that cost for one drawer or a bank of drawers?

I would suggest that you actually need at least 2 pot and pans drawers. One for your pots and pans and another for your dishes. Most cabinet uppers are too small for today's larger dinner plates. We store our dishes in a pull out pot drawer.
For a bank of drawers actually. (3 drawers)
Old 2021-06-24, 08:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
We changed our standard kitchen design with 1 pots/pans drawer + built-in microwave in the kitchen island to 3 equal drawers. The so called "pots & pans" drawers in our case differ from the normal ones, with side walls made of tempered glass in an aluminum frame, back is MDF, front is as per kitchen design. All drawers and doors in our kitchen are soft closing by default. This particular change was done for extra $450.00 in 2019, so the price might be lower compared with today's prices.
As for the practical side of those drawers, we need and use them more often than some of the smaller ones. We have one for pans, one for pots and one for miscellaneous backing pans and baskets. They were placed on purpose in the island vis-a-vis the stove, to shorten the working distances. A fourth (smaller) one, part of the original design, but far from the stove is still very useful for high jars filled with flour, sugar, cereals etc.
great information. Thank you!