Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2010-07-22, 11:50 AM
Regular User

Default Unfinished Ceiling from Building

Edit: Title should read " Unfinished Ceiling from Builder"

My builder is charging $1500 to put flat ceilings in the main floor of our house. The reality is, there is only about 350 square feet of ceiling that isn't flat so I figured it's really not worth that much.
I asked them if they could leave that section unfinished.
They want $350 to NOT put stucco in the ceiling which makes very little sense to me.
the upside is it would be cheaper to finish, and I could do my own potlights before getting it finished.

Not sure how this would affect my tarion warranty in case of a leak in the ceiling, or nail pops etc..
wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of thing or knows the costs/work invovled.

thanks
Old 2010-07-22, 12:01 PM
Regular User

have the person at the decor center talk to the owner to see if they can give you a discount and have them do it since its only 350 square feet.
Old 2010-07-22, 11:41 PM
Regular User

I've read a lot of points on this topic thanks to this site:

1) popcorn ceilings are difficult to repatch ( must be sprayed)
2) Nail pops, uneven beams more visible, imperfections more visible at night

for the $350 ADMINISTRATION fee I'm paying to NOT have the stipple sprayed on, I'm not sure if I'm really saving much after the fact since i have to pay someone to come back later and finish the job.

.. still undecided.
Old 2010-07-23, 09:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeo View Post
I've read a lot of points on this topic thanks to this site:

1) popcorn ceilings are difficult to repatch ( must be sprayed)
2) Nail pops, uneven beams more visible, imperfections more visible at night

for the $350 ADMINISTRATION fee I'm paying to NOT have the stipple sprayed on, I'm not sure if I'm really saving much after the fact since i have to pay someone to come back later and finish the job.

.. still undecided.
Yeah I know it makes your blood boil, but you're basically paying the cost for the work order / change order to the trades. With tract builders you always pay through the nose, even to leave things off. If it involves paperwork, they're going to make you pay. Personally, I'd just pay to have them do the smooth ceilings. We had the drywall guys back twice to just do some repairs for exposed seams, and the dust was a nightmare, even with plastic laid everywhere. It sucks to deal with this stuff, especially in a new home...

What room is it? Is it easy to plastic everything off and avoid the room during the work and cleanup?
Old 2010-07-23, 10:13 AM
Regular User

The $350 admin fee or paperwork fee or whatever you want to call it I have found out is actually a screw up fee. The builder charges this because they assume that the "skilled" trades they hire can't, won't or don't read the work orders and will do the omitted work anyways there for it cost money to remove and correct the problem so they charge you for it in advance and if they don't screw it up then hey they got for a few extra bucks. I was basically told this by my builder I didn't want the towel bars and toilet paper holders installed because I didn't like the locations they put them and they wanted $200.00 each to not install them and just leave them on the vanity. My response was is that because you know they will install them anyways and them you'll have to come back and fix them? with out coming right out and saying it they agreed with what I said.
Old 2010-07-23, 10:28 AM
Regular User

We deleted a number of items in our home (i.e. medicine cabinets) and were given credits. During the building of the home, they started the rough ins for them anyway....
Old 2010-07-23, 12:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Yeah I know it makes your blood boil, but you're basically paying the cost for the work order / change order to the trades. With tract builders you always pay through the nose, even to leave things off. If it involves paperwork, they're going to make you pay. Personally, I'd just pay to have them do the smooth ceilings. We had the drywall guys back twice to just do some repairs for exposed seams, and the dust was a nightmare, even with plastic laid everywhere. It sucks to deal with this stuff, especially in a new home...

What room is it? Is it easy to plastic everything off and avoid the room during the work and cleanup?
The rooms are on the main floor :
Formal room
Family room with vaulted ceiling

Since this is my first house and I have no furniture, I don't have to rush to move it..so I was planning on covering everything up then getting a tradesman to come and finish the job while house is unoccupied. Also was going to do other odd jobs before moving in like:

1) installing pot lights/speakers in unfinished ceiling before having it finished
2) staining and finishing the unfinished staircase - builder want $2250 to stain!
3) drilling holes, installing my own handles in kitchen cabinets
4) installing my own towel/soap holders - builder told to leave them uninstalled

interestingly.. of all the above items i've having NOT done by builder. the ceiling is the only one with the screw-up fee.. I plan on monitoring the build process rigoruosly, and if i can get hold of the drywall/tapers contractor, may pay him to finish the job on the side for me while house is under construction.
Old 2010-07-23, 12:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeo View Post
The rooms are on the main floor :
Formal room
Family room with vaulted ceiling

Since this is my first house and I have no furniture, I don't have to rush to move it..so I was planning on covering everything up then getting a tradesman to come and finish the job while house is unoccupied. Also was going to do other odd jobs before moving in like:

1) installing pot lights/speakers in unfinished ceiling before having it finished
2) staining and finishing the unfinished staircase - builder want $2250 to stain!
3) drilling holes, installing my own handles in kitchen cabinets
4) installing my own towel/soap holders - builder told to leave them uninstalled

interestingly.. of all the above items i've having NOT done by builder. the ceiling is the only one with the screw-up fee.. I plan on monitoring the build process rigoruosly, and if i can get hold of the drywall/tapers contractor, may pay him to finish the job on the side for me while house is under construction.
That actually doesn't sound too bad then!