Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville

Stouffville Moving to Stouffville? Already living there? This section is for you.

Old 2014-05-14, 09:07 AM
Regular User

Default Fencing contractors feedback appreciated

We just had a meeting with a few neighbours and Chris construction but from reviewing past post, he doesn't look very good.

Can anyone suggest other companies that you had good experience and the price is within standard?

Any thoughts on CanDo? I heard they are good with quality but not service.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 2014-05-14, 11:34 AM
Regular User

I organized mine on my street. We used Eagle Fencing. We were really pleased with the result. The only hiccup along the way was a delay to the start of building the fence - some liked this as it gave them more time to save money while others did not like it. The owner has a bit of an attitude I could live without for someone who is involved in customer service but in the end we overlooked that and it all worked fine. Price was competitive, quality & workmanship very good and it came with a 5-year warranty.

Chris is horrible and I would never go with him. Be careful because he has a habit of convincing one neighbour and starting to build everyone else's fence without permission.

Can-Do appears to be very good too as far as quality and workmanship. I heard the sales guy has an attitude at times too. But I think they're a good company. They have less delays than Eagle Fencing from what I could see. My neighbours across the street used them. I believe they offer the same warranty.

I prefer our fence, but I am very detailed oriented so I negotiated everything from the metal caps on the posts to the type of hinges that would be used on the doors. I also liked that Eagle has their cement mixed at an actual cement plant and delivered by a cement truck on the street rather than mixing it by hand on site. That offers a better quality cement for the posts.

I know when they built our fence that the owner told me it was his long-term goal to go into commercial only and no longer do residential. I am not sure whether they've reached that stage or not.

That's my two cents.
Old 2014-05-14, 02:28 PM
Regular User

Thanks PJD for the detailed information. Do you mind sending me a picture of your fence so I have an idea since you are detailed oriented, you must know what is good and not good.

I'm not sure if I want to organize this on our street but if approached, at least, I know who to stay away from.

Thanks so much.
Old 2014-05-14, 05:47 PM
Regular User

You're welcome Ellen. PM me an email address & I'll send you a pic within the next couple days. Thanks.
Old 2014-06-02, 02:33 PM
Regular User

Hi Ellen. I've PMed you as I got a quote from a contractor. Maybe we can negotiate a better deal as a group.
Old 2014-06-04, 12:40 PM
Regular User

We used Can-Do fencing. Their price was really good (at first I thought it was high but the fence style we went with was a premium one so relatively, the price was really good).

The sales guy (at least one of them) did have attitude bordering on being a downright asshole. So that's why we didn't go with them originally but we eventually called again and got someone else and it was fine. The guys that came to do the actual work were very professional, quick, and detailed - they noticed property line and construction errors in some of the neighbouring houses.

Not sure if other companies do it but they have a "price protection" rule of sorts - http://www.candofenceanddeck.com/approaching.php (keeps the price for up to 2 years when doing a partial fence). They won't offer it so you have to ask and hold them to it.
Old 2014-12-10, 10:18 PM
Regular User

any reviews of Toronca fence? They've done a few off hoover park and wondering if they're any good to go with?
Old 2015-02-13, 12:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimebuyer View Post
any reviews of Toronca fence? They've done a few off hoover park and wondering if they're any good to go with?
I don't know where you stand with your fence situation but for anyone else needing a review, Toronca was good & professional & my fence looks great
Old 2015-02-28, 03:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie7654 View Post
I don't know where you stand with your fence situation but for anyone else needing a review, Toronca was good & professional & my fence looks great
im going with Toronca in the spring.
Old 2015-04-07, 02:52 PM
Regular User

So Toronca came by, very good meeting and better deal than the other guy who tried to scam everyone into signing up, GCU Fence.