Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2009-09-25, 07:50 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the replies everyone!
We do not have an alarm system where we live now (we rent a townhouse in Greenboro) even though the system exists in the house. We heard a lot of negative feedback about alarm systems and decided not to subscribe.

However, moving into this new house, I am a little weary. It'll be just me and my daughter and I have to admit, I am nervous about break-ins, especially while we're there.
I don't really want an alarm system but I am not sure I'll feel safe without it.
Any suggestions?

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013

Old 2009-09-25, 09:26 PM
Regular User

Katherine, you're right. But as I said, it'll be just me and my daughter and this is a very recent change in our lives. That is one of the reasons I am now starting to look at alarm systems.
I don't think FC is a bad neighbourhood at all. I guess I'm just a little worried. Maybe for nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine&Chris View Post
You feel safe now in your current rental without an alarm system, but you won't feel safe living in Findley Creek without an alarm? It's not exactly a rough neighbourhood

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek

Old 2009-09-26, 05:38 PM
Regular User

Get a big dog or beware of dog sign you can also put alarm stickers on you window.
Old 2009-09-26, 06:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson_g View Post
Get a big dog or beware of dog sign you can also put alarm stickers on you window.
Hey Molson, good suggestions. I' allergic to dogs though. Otherwise, I'd love to have a big snarly dog! LOL
As for the stickers, I did think about that, but where could I get such stickers? I'd have to ask friends if they have any left over stickers...good idea though. Better than nada!

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek

Old 2009-09-26, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayCat View Post
I don't really want an alarm system but I am not sure I'll feel safe without it.
What is it about an alarm system that would actually make you feel safe? They don't stop things from happening, they just tell you that something has already happened.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-09-26, 10:58 PM
Regular User

I know Greg, you're absolutely right. I guess it's all in my mind! Keep pointing this out to me and you'll be saving me a wad of cash. :-)

I think I'll just find a cheaper and perhaps even more effective alternative.

The more people point out how useless alarm systems are, the more I realize that's why we didn't subscribe to one in the first place.

Thanks! :-)

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek

Old 2009-09-26, 11:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
What is it about an alarm system that would actually make you feel safe? They don't stop things from happening, they just tell you that something has already happened.
I don't know about that.

Say your sleeping and an intruder trips the alarm. You awaken and it gives you a chance to run or hide, grab your kids, grab a weapon or in my case a 23.5" steel pipe underneath my bed.

If you have little or no warning, the intruder can be right on top of you and by that time, it may be too late.

What about if a robber is watching your house and figures out your work hours? He figures out that your gone for at least 10 hours and this gives him plenty of time to empty your house. If you have an alarm and it goes off, he won't be sticking around.

I agree that it won't prevent robberies and it is just a deterrant but it works in your favour, not against you.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-09-27, 12:11 AM
Regular User

Or in the case of my parents my mom had some soup on the stove and completely forgot she had it on at a low temperature. She took my niece to the park. By the time they got back to the house the fire department had arrived, BEFORE the house went up in flames. The alarm company alerted the fire department.

I went out for a vacation a few days after that incident and while the house smelled disgusting for a while thanks to the smoke that was the only damage to the house.
House Blog: http://myhouseorsomethinglikeit.wordpress.com
Old 2009-09-27, 08:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayCat View Post
I know Greg, you're absolutely right. I guess it's all in my mind! Keep pointing this out to me and you'll be saving me a wad of cash. :-)

I think I'll just find a cheaper and perhaps even more effective alternative.

The more people point out how useless alarm systems are, the more I realize that's why we didn't subscribe to one in the first place.

Thanks! :-)

Here's some info that you may find useful:
http://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/crime_...gram/index.cfm
Old 2009-09-27, 08:27 AM
Regular User

Straycat, if I were you, I would just harden the existing security on your home -- forget about an alarm. Replace your locks with Medeco lock sets (you can't "lock bump" them nor copy keys -- about $200 a cylinder), put up removable bars on basement windows, get security film for sidelites and "accessible" ground floor windows, put up security lights/motion detector flood lights. All of these will make your home much less tempting to break into.