Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2009-11-30, 11:09 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW20 MR2 View Post
Do you have to mount the TV? Personally, I would put the entertainment unit at the kitchen half wall. This leaves you with a tonne of options for furniture placement.
That might be a bit awekward. The wall is a bit small, and the TV would block the window a bit. Not only that, but you would have competing focal points in the room.

We considered the same thing, but ruled it out for the reasons above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00388.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	5226  

Last edited by Fingers; 2009-11-30 at 11:11 AM.
Old 2009-11-30, 11:12 AM
Regular User

why not move the fireplace to the halfwall between the family room and the dining room and upgrade it to a 2 way fireplace and put the TV between the two window? or you can just put the tv along long outside wall.
Old 2009-12-01, 10:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
why not move the fireplace to the halfwall between the family room and the dining room and upgrade it to a 2 way fireplace and put the TV between the two window? or you can just put the tv along long outside wall.
Thanks for the idea homie27. My wife is definitely against moving the fireplace though. I like the idea about the 2 way fp though...even without trying to accomodate a TV.

As for the outside wall, we tried to envision this setup while visiting the model home and it would not work out too well. Unfortunately, that outside wall is really the only place you can fit a couch. A friend suggested placing the couch toward the middle of the room, facing the outside wall. That wouldn't look right, and really designates the room as a "TV room". I will be setting up a home theatre elsewhere as our main venue for watching television/movies/video games. We are trying to keep this room more like a living room, with a TV viewing option
Old 2009-12-01, 12:05 PM
Regular User

so she doesn't like the idea of having a fancy dinner in the dining room and having a gorgeous 2 way fireplace right there? that would look so awesome.

if you just want to use it as a living room, then the TV above the fireplace would be great. that would be your only option if you want to wall mount it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juno View Post
Thanks for the idea homie27. My wife is definitely against moving the fireplace though. I like the idea about the 2 way fp though...even without trying to accomodate a TV.

As for the outside wall, we tried to envision this setup while visiting the model home and it would not work out too well. Unfortunately, that outside wall is really the only place you can fit a couch. A friend suggested placing the couch toward the middle of the room, facing the outside wall. That wouldn't look right, and really designates the room as a "TV room". I will be setting up a home theatre elsewhere as our main venue for watching television/movies/video games. We are trying to keep this room more like a living room, with a TV viewing option