Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-01-28, 09:30 AM
Administrator

I did a 12 zone system that is controlled with 3 touchscreens.

I did another 11 zone system that is controlled with 1 touchscreen, 3 remotes and 7 keypads.

I've done another that was 1 zone, 1 touchscreen and 2 keypads.

I've done another with 3 zones, 2 touchscreens, and computer control.

I've done many systems that was 6 zones and 6 keypads.

Etc.. etc..

There are many possibilities and it may be wise to discuss your needs with someone who actually designs these systems in your area.

To cover most of your bases, you wire a room with a pair of speakers, loop the speaker wire to a room control in the room and then back to the head end. Also from the room control to the head end you would have a cat5e.

Looping the speaker wire allows you to use a simple volume control.

Having a cat5 in there will allow you to use a keypad (for most inexpensive vendors).

For lighting control that's a whole other thing.. There's a couple of ways to do it, and the most flexible one is not going to happen in a production house.

There is wall-switch replacement lighting control. This is where you replace existing wall switches with dimmers that can be controlled wirelessly. This is a great retrofit solution and most likely will be the only solution available in a production house.

There is centralized lighting control. This is where all the loads (lights) are run to a panel in the house that contains all the dimming circuits. This is something you can do if you are building a custom home. It offers a tremendous amount of flexibility and control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addtemp View Post
If I want to Zone out the Sound Do I need to have Sliders/Knobs for Each Zone / Room I want to control noise separately. Don't these Home Automation Systems like Channel 4 have Remote Keypads that you can control all kind of things from. How much these Key pads cost are they so expensive that it is wiser to get knobs separately.

How does the light control works with Home Automation. Don't you need to do any kind of rough in just like you do for Sounds/Zones or you just connect it to main panel ...

I am not planning to install the Home Automation right now but want to get allthe rough ins so I don't get any surprises later.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-01-28, 10:22 AM
Regular User

Thank you Greg for your explanation. I am getting only the rough in at this point and would definitely consult a professional when implementing the solution. This is why I posted here since I know there are lot of knowledgeable individuals here.

So here are some clarifications I am looking for after reading your post.

(1) Do I need to put 2 speaker wires in a 10 * 14 bedroom as well. I was thinking of getting that single stereo speaker. Do I still need 2 wires for it.

(2) I need to have keyPad for every Sound zone I want if I want to control the sound individually for each zones. Most of my zones would be individual rooms except for Both upper and lower hall way combined.

Is it wise to get all Key-pads won't it be a cheaper solution to get touch screen pad wireless connected.

I know I need Cat 5e from Keypad to the Drop down location i..e. my basement but am not clear on the loop thing you mentioned from speakers to keypad. Inn't it given when you getting a keypad or you have to specifically ask for it.

Old 2010-01-28, 08:12 PM
Administrator

1) I would recommend a pair of speakers in the large room. A single point stereo may end up being too localized and a little more difficult to place aesthetically. You would need speaker wiring run to each speaker. If a single point stereo, you would still need wiring for left/right audio run to it.

2) For entry level systems, usually yes. For more advanced systems, they can be programmed however you need... but those systems start off at about $5000.

I don't understand your question? regarding keypads and a touchscreen.

Wiring:

Speaker wiring from the speakers in the room to the control point in the room. The control point can be either a volume control or a keypad.

Speaker wiring from the control point in the room to the head end. Head end is your amplifier, processor, whatever is driving your speakers. This will allow you to use a volume control if you elect to use a very simple system to drive all the speakers. Example: A speaker selector and a big amplifier.

cat5e wiring from the control point in the room to the head end. This is usually enough wiring to allow you to use a keypad for most systems. Example: Russound or Niles

Old 2010-01-28, 08:31 PM
Regular User

From Key Pad I meant Sliders or Knobs ... and by touch screen I meant the controls I see in Home Automation system that are like remote control with menues that you can select zones volumes etc. Atleast that's my understanding

I am assuming that if I get a Slider or Knob the wiring from Speaker to it is given and I don't have to tell them any thing except that what speaker it be controlling. You mentioned something about loop back.

I am leaning towards getting Cat5e from Knob to the Basement amplifier / other Home Automation system. The Company mentioned Channel 4 have you heard of them. What is there quality

Last edited by addtemp; 2010-01-28 at 08:36 PM.
Old 2010-01-28, 09:07 PM
Administrator

A slider, or knob would usually be just a volume control. Just like the volume control on your stereo or car radio.

A keypad would be something like this:
http://www.phand.ca/index.php?image=9

It would have multiple buttons on it allowing you to do different things with your system.

I think you mean Control 4. Yes I have heard of them. I have no comment, especially since I am a Crestron dealer

Old 2010-01-28, 10:01 PM
Regular User

what is HDTV PreWire Cables (PRO5XRG6) Ready .. Do I only need it in Family room above the fireplace.

I will have tv in Master bedrroms too and small tvs in other bad rooms may be or excercize room

Do I need Smart Wiring in Basement now since all my DVD player etc will be in basement. they are charging 225 for 2 Coaxial 1 Cat 5e and 1 tel

Old 2010-01-28, 11:37 PM
Administrator

PRO5XRG6 sounds like a product code.

My guess based on what it reads is it is 5 RG6 cables run from one location to another. This will offer you component HD video and a stereo audio pair. But confirm with them since they are the ones offering this.

If you are putting a TV above a fireplace (make sure you want to) then just get them to do a conduit from above the fireplace to the basement. That will allow you to run whatever cabling you want.

The term 'Smart wiring' is a buzz word that means nothing.

If you are placing your equipment in the basement, then just run through the conduit whatever wiring you need into the basement.

How many master bedrooms do you have?

Not sure what a 'bad' room is.. but to each their own

Just get a TV cable placed in a location in each room where you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addtemp View Post
what is HDTV PreWire Cables (PRO5XRG6) Ready .. Do I only need it in Family room above the fireplace.

I will have tv in Master bedrroms too and small tvs in other bad rooms may be or excercize room

Do I need Smart Wiring in Basement now since all my DVD player etc will be in basement. they are charging 225 for 2 Coaxial 1 Cat 5e and 1 tel