Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Toronto

Toronto Toronto, North York, East York, Scarborough, Etobicoke, and more!

Old 2010-07-10, 01:24 AM

Default Windows Not According to Floor Plan

It's 69 days to closing on my new Townhome. I just realized that one of two windows on the main floor (livingroom) is 30" from the corner window instead of 60" as indicated in the floor plan. I purchased over $1,000 of upgrades for network, power, cable and moving the chandelier to accommodate a 55" home theatre system to fit comfortably between the windows. When the electrician attempts to install the upgrades I'm sure he will be confused. There is no technical reason for the builder to move the window and I'm stuck with no wall for a TV on the main floor My neighbor's unit (behind) is the exact same model -only their windows are 60" apart as per floor plan. My windows and brick work is mostly completed. I sent an email (Friday evening) to the builder and am hoping that they will assist me. Are builders obligated to follow their own building design?
Old 2010-07-10, 01:42 AM
Regular User

No they are not obliged to follow the floor plans they gave us. If you read carefully usually they always have it written in small print that this is only Architectural conceptual sketch and the actual layout might differ.

Having said that quite a few builders do listen and try to accommodate the changes if they can. Good Luck with it.

Old 2010-07-10, 08:25 AM
Administrator

It actually states window placements are 60" in your purchase agreement? Seriously? I have never ever seen that. In some cases you don't even get room dimensions.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-07-10, 09:05 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by addtemp View Post
No they are not obliged to follow the floor plans they gave us. If you read carefully usually they always have it written in small print that this is only Architectural conceptual sketch and the actual layout might differ.

Having said that quite a few builders do listen and try to accommodate the changes if they can. Good Luck with it.
Thanks for the encouragement addtemp. I'm guessing the deviation from the original design was a mistake on the part of the Trades and keeping my fingers crossed that the builder will assist me
Old 2010-11-23, 12:11 AM
alyna

Quote:
Originally Posted by addtemp View Post

I agree with you. Floor plan could be different from the actual layout. This is also common,mostly builders accommodate any changes if they can!
Old 2010-11-24, 06:48 AM
Regular User

At this point windows can't be moved.You can just talk to the electrician and revise your cables and location of your home theater before it's too late and you will have a high power outlet plug in between the windows and holes for conduits. Of course you can cover that up with a picture or painting later in but might look funny.