Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2013-01-08, 11:54 AM
Regular User

We just had out tv wall mounted above the fireplace and just like you didn't want the cable box, etc... in the family room for basically a clean look, so we relocated cable box in the basement and we bought a IR remote control extender from TheSource recommended by our wall mount installer this is the one http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...language=en-CA for about $45 with taxes we control everything upstairs with the boxes in the basement, very easy to setup all you do is place the one transmiter piece anywhere in the same room you place your TV, then the other reciever piece in the basement beside your boxes,etc.. and hook up one signal thingy to the cable box's remote control sensor thingy on the box, I might have confused you, but this works flawlessly and at the cost you compare it to a Logitech/Harmony remote this is a steel.
Old 2013-01-08, 11:58 AM
Regular User

Thanks Selvi!
Moved in: August 21st, 2013
Old 2013-01-08, 12:47 PM
Regular User

Looking over your quote is Minto installing HDMI cables from the basement to the family room and from the bedroom to the walk-in closet? IMO I would rather them only install a conduit between the areas (which is actually what we did in our house) and pull the HDMI cables myself. Have Minto install the electrical and cable outlets still cause you are gonna need to plug the TV’s and cables boxes in. At least with the conduit you’re able to add/remove/replace any cable at any time with no fuss should you need or want to.

Whenever I want HDMI cable I usually check out NCIX.com. It a British Columbia based computer hardware store which has a retail/shipping outlet in Mississauga and they have great prices. Even if you’re paying for shipping, buying cable from them when it’s on sale will be much cheaper than buying it at Future Shop or Best Buy. But it may take one to two weeks to receive the shipment.

Here’s the link to their HDMI cables: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...minorcatid=231

Edit: If you do decide to go with Minto installing conduits between the rooms they will have plates covering them. I picked up a couple of these from Amazon to run the wires through. I found it just looks nicer with these or something like it. I couldn’t find anything like it at Home Depot, Rona or Lowes when I was looking for them last year but all the store employees were impressed with them so who knows… maybe there might be something like them there now.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001...ls_o01_s00_i00

Last edited by J&C; 2013-01-08 at 01:13 PM.