Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2012-10-12, 06:32 PM
Regular User

Default switching ISPs?

Called Teksavvy today because I'm interested in switching my ISP provider.

I already have DSL service but sales dept. told me I had to be home on a Monday between 12 and 9pm because it MAY require a Bell technician or even TWO techs!! to come out? For what??

They weren't able to say why it "might" require a tech but someone would need to be there and they may not even show up if it's not required but can't tell me ahead of time.

Anyone have this problem when switching service providers?
and why would they need to come into the house?? Just mail me a package with login credentials and WAN settings!

why is it this hard?
Old 2012-10-12, 10:21 PM
Regular User

OK. Doing some research I found out that they want to come out to install POTS splitter.

I don't require one to be installed in my situation so I may just go to work on "installation" day.

I just can't swallow Teksavvy's $95 activation fee. That's outright theft!
Old 2013-02-21, 04:07 PM

Yikes that's robbery. I switched from Cogeco to Start communications. since my Start install occurred on the same day as the Cogeco cancellation i didn't have to pay any activation fee.
Old 2013-02-22, 11:31 PM
Regular User

The activation fee is annoying and expensive but that fee is what Bell/Rogers charge teksavvy and teksavvy charges the customer, this is Bell/Rogers game to persuade customers from moving to third party ISP and continue to pay there ridiculousness prices with locked contacts. They say they don't charge activation fees because they make up for it every time you go over your bandwidth or get you locked in a contract.

I have had teksavvy for about 2 years now ever since they came to my area. The installation was easy and the one time activation charge was well worth the overall savings and 300GB cap. I ordered cable and I didn't need to stay home and no one came to my door, the rogers guy came did his thing at the demarcation point and when I got home I just had to hook up my modem and I was set. If you already have DSL with Bell and want to switch to teksavvy yours should be just as easy and no house visit should be required and all you would have to do is switch the modems. I can't say for sure for DSL because of dry loops and stuff but still think a house visit will not be required.

Teksavvy asked me if I had Rogers Internet (which i did) when i order and I wanted cable so I said yes, and this was the reason a house visit was not required because the house was already wired for Cable Internet. If I had DSL then a house visit maybe required.

Yes it cost more up front but you pay off the modem and activation fee within 6-8 months and after that its all savings plus no overage charges because of small limited bandwidth caps imposed by Bell/Rogers, teksavvy gives you enough bandwidth that an average house will never max unlike Rogers or Bell caps which i can max within 2 days.

PS Sorry if my English sounds broken or is missing words, just had a 13 hour shift and kinda brain dead.

Last edited by jebise101; 2013-02-22 at 11:51 PM.
Old 2013-02-23, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebise101 View Post
The activation fee is annoying and expensive but that fee is what Bell/Rogers charge teksavvy and teksavvy charges the customer, this is Bell/Rogers game to persuade customers from moving to third party ISP and continue to pay there ridiculousness prices with locked contacts.
I'm not sure I understand the issue here.. Bell/Rogers has to send their technicians out to enable a service for someone else.. Why wouldn't they charge for that?
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2013-02-23, 07:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
I'm not sure I understand the issue here.. Bell/Rogers has to send their technicians out to enable a service for someone else.. Why wouldn't they charge for that?
They have every right to charge as long as its within reason they service charge is high and that's the problem.

But that being said, I will gladly pay a high amount for a one time activation charge to rid them from my house, which i have done 2 years ago and very happy with the decision.
Old 2013-02-23, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebise101 View Post
They have every right to charge as long as its within reason they service charge is high and that's the problem.
$95 is pretty cheap for a single visit for a telecomm technician.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/