Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2014-06-28, 06:03 PM
Regular User

Default Rerouting a basement drain. Worth it in this situation?

In my basement there's a fairly large bulkhead that splits the basement in half. See attached document called "Drawing". The bulkhead is noted in red pen with a dotted line, pretty much dead-center.

In the small area between my bulkhead and my movie screen, there's an exposed drain pipe which goes under three or four floor joists before making it's way out of my rec room and into the storage room (it was a bathtub at the time this drawing was submitted).

Anyway, I've solved the problem by screwing two 2x4's to one another and placing them at 24" on center to the floor joists above (see pics). I've done this in the entire area in front of my movie screen, until I reach the bulkhead. My thinking was, it would look nicer to drop the entire ceiling on that side of the bulkhead by 3" than to have yet another bulkhead boxed in. Honestly, I don't think anyone will notice that the ceiling is lower on the screen side of the bulkhead.

Today, my HVAC guy came in and when he saw that he said it would be a total joke to reroute the drain through the floor joists. I've attached a few pics showing the travel - it's the drain from our island in the kitchen, not our kitchen sink.

I really don't see the point in going through the hassle of moving that drain to be honest. I did want to post the situation on here though. If a bunch of you say "it would take 20 mins, that's such an easy fix" then I may go to the trouble. Otherwise, I have to say I'm the pickiest guy on the planet and seeing this in person doesn't bother me in the least.

Given the pictures provided, what's your take?

Once it leaves the room with my movie screen, it's into an unfinished area so what happens to it at that point doesn't really matter in terms of how it looks.

My pictures show (a) where the pipe interferes with my room and (b) where that pipe terminates.

What are your thoughts. Leave my strapping up, or take it all down and reroute the pipe to save a 3" no one will notice? Oh, and what's the rule for drilling holes through the engineered floor joists with that size of pipe? I'm pretty sure it's okay but I'd obviously verify that before moving along. I've seen too many home improvement shows to know that's a huge NO NO.

Also, I have a permit taken out on my basement so I'm sure any change would need to be inspected.

Sorry for the flipped images. They were straight when I uploaded them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	12210   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	12211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drawing.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	12212  

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2014-06-28 at 06:22 PM.
Old 2014-06-29, 10:06 AM
Regular User

I would make a bulkhead the full width of the room, make it deeper say 8 inches, and put a pot light in each end. Another possible is a built in bookshelf at each end.
Old 2014-06-29, 10:09 AM
Regular User

Also the option of a three inch bulkhead at one end would be very visible and in a bad way. L
Old 2014-06-29, 05:48 PM
Regular User

I have the Weyerhaeuser rules here somewhere. I'll look tonight. Other engineered joist manufacturers will be similar. They are a pre-engineered product, so as long as you follow the manufacturer's directions, you're fine for full design load. You don't need an engineer to sign off.

I know one criteria is distance from support, and you're pretty close. When I find it, I'll take a pic and post it here.
Old 2014-06-29, 05:55 PM
Regular User

Here, download this link and go to page 9.

Find the comparative size of your engineered joists by comparing the dimensions on yours to the sizes listed on page 3.
Old 2014-07-02, 01:07 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the replies.

I was able to make our bulkhead smaller (with the help of an HVAC pro), so having a second bulkhead over the screen won't look bad at all now.

I agree with good2know in that the bulkhead must continue the full width of the room as "boxed-in" bulks look hideous. I'm going to do a nice decorative bulkhead over my movie screen and probably add a potlight to each end for ambient lighting.

I just have to take down the pieces I have screwed to the ceiling now which I'm not looking forward to, but what can ya do? It'll look better in the end!