Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2014-07-07, 08:54 AM
Regular User

Default Another Basement Question - This Time Re: Potlights and Resilient Channel

I'm about to place my potlights around my basement. Before doing so, I want to make sure I've got the height correct. Normally, you'd just attach the cans to the floor joists, but what if you're using resilient channel?

In my last house I used resilient channel and hung the cans on the floor joists without issue. Even though there was a 1/2" gap between the drywall and the can, the lights still popped into the cans without any issue. That said, I was thinking I should lower the cans 1/2" this time around just to make sure everything fits properly. My initial thought was to use something like a 1x4 on the bottom of the floor joists, but 1x4's aren't 1/2" thick.

Do you guys/gals bother lowering the pots when using resilient channel, and if so, what did you use to help achieve the 1/2" gap?
Old 2014-07-09, 12:18 PM
Regular User

Tg the clips on the feet of those cans attach to the track nicely
Old 2014-07-09, 12:22 PM
Regular User

Interesting. Who knew?

That makes life easy!
Old 2014-07-29, 02:53 PM
Regular User

Had the electrician in today. I haven't put the cans up yet so I asked him about the resilient channel. He then looked at me, paused for a brief second, and reached for one of the cans...

...at this point he proceeded to pull the round housing out in excess of 1". Apparently the cone is basically a big sleeve that slides in and out to accommodate different ceiling heights.

Who knew?

Old 2014-10-27, 09:23 AM
Regular User

I had the same question last night. thanks guys!