Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2014-09-15, 04:00 PM
Regular User

Default Spray foam

I just saw this episode re-aired on Marketplace. Pretty disturbing and I'm reconsidering my plans to spray foam the basement prior to finishing.

Has anyone had any similar experience?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2014-09-15, 04:16 PM
Regular User

Yea... thankfully ours was managable, but it's a really gross, disturbing, irritating smell. It was like nothing I'd ever smelled before so I couldn't even describe what I was trying to get other people to sniff!! "Fishy" doesn't quite describe it. It's like fish and paint and white glue all at the same time? lol
Old 2014-09-16, 09:29 AM
Regular User

Just had my basement done with spray foam a couple of weeks ago. We had to vacate the premises for 24 hrs but upon arriving home I didn't notice any odd smells or problems - and I haven't since.

I did notice that our basement was toasty warm last Saturday during the cold snap though...and that's with all the heat vents turned off

Marketplace does good work but a lot of their stories are a bit much IMO. Next week if they interview a pilot that was in a plane crash, the forums will be lit up with posts like "should you fly again?". Plumbers screw up drains, electricians cause fires, framers build houses that fall down. It doesn't mean you should go without plumbing, electrical and framing. I'm not saying issues don't happen - they do. They happen everywhere though.

That's my .02.

Get someone reputable that knows what they're doing and make sure they don't put it on too fast or too thick. You'll be fine.

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2014-09-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 2014-11-04, 05:03 PM
Regular User

The entire basement of our 2011 home is sprayfoamed from floor to headers with Heatlok Soya by Demiliec (also sold under the Polarfoam name... different distributor).

Link: http://www.demilec.com/english/heatlok-soya

They recommended we leave for the day so we left for a couple and there was no smell by the time we go home.

I would recommend going with a quality product such as this, and not getting the cheapest installer in town.

The basement is extremely cozy now - It's considerably better at retaining heat and provides a better air and moisture barrier in the places it's needed (like the headers/rim joists where condensation can form). We also absolutely require it in some places as, due to the design, we have plumbing (both supply and drain) running inside the 2x4" framing on exterior walls. Code around here says you need at least R12 between this and the outside wall to avoid freezing (it is Canada after all), and you don't have enough depth to do that with the standard pink stuff. It would have to be too thick. We were also required to remove the vapour barrier and existing pink fiberglass stuff to do wiring, so it had to come out anyway. It got re-used in the ceilings.

Some pics:

More pictures/descriptions in this post of my basement build thread:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/fo...=292248#292248

Kal