Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Oakville


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2014-11-26, 10:54 AM
newoakville newoakville is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: oakville
Posts: 161
Default Pdi

Can those that closed post their PDI experience please.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2014-11-27, 08:00 PM
Halton Home Inspector Halton Home Inspector is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milton
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoakville View Post
Can those that closed post their PDI experience please.
It's not that I purchased a home but I have been at many PDI's. If it's a Mattamy home then usually you start in the kitchen where the PDI Rep will explain the process.

That PDI Rep will likely have a roll of green painters tape and use small pieces of that tape, and give you pieces of tape to mark defects like scratches, dents, chips, and other defects on counters, cabinets, doors, cabinets doors, etc., etc., etc.

TIP - I would suggest you spend a couple dollars and buy your own roll of basic green painters tape. That way you do not have to constantly ask the rep for pieces from his/her roll.

Once you have finished going over the PDI process in the kitchen the rep will probably want you to go upstairs to go through the rooms and bathrooms. This gives you a good chance to carefully scrutinize the hardwood steps and handrails for poor finishes, chips, scratches, staple holes, etc.

Once you are upstairs - in bedrooms just focus on painted walls, doors, carpet, hardwood* floors, but in bathrooms spend more time checking cabinets, counters, cabinet doors, look inside cabinets for damage, check toilets and tubs for damage, scratches, etc., and run your hands over tub surfaces looking for defects and pain splatter.

Once you are on the main floor carefully scrutinize hardwood floors and then spend a good amount of time checking the kitchen.

Once downstairs the PDI Rep will usually briefly go over your equipment like sump, furnace, HRV, water shut off, water heater etc. Since there are no real finishes down there just make sure the equipment is not damaged.

Your PDI should NOT be rushed. Tarions rule of thumb is one hour for every 1000 square feet. The garage will be checked so make sure the mandoor closes as latches shut and make sure the front of the garage door has NO damage.

If it's not a wet muddy disaster then usually they will walk around the home to note a few things but don't expect much and frankly all that is a waste of time because exterior issues are covered well beyond the PDI.

* Hardwood floors are a particular problem if not inspected properly. Google "hardwood floor cupping" for info and make sure your floors are not "cupped".

Take a small clean damp cloth ( comes in handy because sometimes small bits of dirt on cabinets look like damage and you can simply wipe them clean.

Don't worry about electrical issues, insulation, structure, roof, HVAC, and other major systems of the home because they are covered well beyond the PDI.

If the PDI Rep says silly things like "everything is covered for one year", don't believe it.

Do not take distractions like small kids to the PDI.

If things are not perfectly clean then they can NOT be inspected. PDI Rep should note that and the area should be inspected later.

Sorry I'm rambling,,, I could go on but I'll stop here.

My only other advice would be to call me for a real inspection of the home because a PDI is mostly just cosmetic. In the Preserve my inspections have found serious heath safety issues and many other significant code violations and defects.

Remember, a confident builder will encourage you to get a proper independent new home warranty inspection. A not so confident builder will try to convince you that an independent inspection is not necessary.

TIP - Study the Tarion Construction Performance Guidelines - Interior and Flooring sections.

TIP - Google - Thanks Andy Shaw Halton Home Inspection and read some reviews / articles.
__________________
For the new home warranty inspection services you need and deserve call Andy Shaw at 905 876 4761

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2014-12-22 at 06:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2014-11-27, 08:10 PM
newoakville newoakville is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: oakville
Posts: 161
Default

Great feedback, thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2014-11-27, 08:56 PM
newhomeoakville newhomeoakville is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
It's not that I purchased a home but I have been at many PDI's. If it's a Mattamy home then usually you start in the kitchen where the PDI Rep will explain the process.

That PDI Rep will likely have a roll of green painters tape and use small pieces of that tape, and give you pieces of tape to mark defects like scratches, dents, chips, and other defects on counters, cabinets, doors, cabinets doors, etc., etc., etc.

TIP - I would suggest you spend a couple dollars and buy your own roll of basic green painters tape. That way you do not have to constantly ask the rep for pieces from his/her roll.

Once you have finished going over the PDI process in the kitchen the rep will probably want you to go upstairs to go through the rooms and bathrooms. This gives you a good chance to carefully scrutinize the hardwood steps and handrails for poor finishes, chips, scratches, staple holes, etc.

Once you are upstairs - in bedrooms just focus on painted walls, doors, carpet, hardwood* floors, but in bathrooms spend more time checking cabinets, counters, cabinet doors, look inside cabinets for damage, check toilets and tubs for damage, scratches, etc., and run your hands over tub surfaces looking for defects and pain splatter.

Once you are on the main floor carefully scrutinize hardwood floors and then spend a good amount of time checking the kitchen.

Once downstairs the PDI Rep will usually briefly go over your equipment like sump, furnace, HRV, water shut off, water heater etc. Since there are no real finishes down there just make sure the equipment is not damaged.

Your PDI should NOT be rushed. Tarions rule of thumb is one hour for every 1000 square feet. The garage will be checked so make sure the mandoor closes as latches shut and make sure the front of the garage door has NO damage.

If it's not a wet muddy disaster then usually they will walk around the home to note a few things but don't expect much and frankly all that is a waste of time because exterior issues are covered well beyond the PDI.

* Hardwood floors are a particular problem if not inspected properly. Google "hardwood floor cupping" for info and make sure your floors are not "cupped".

Take a small clean damp cloth ( comes in handy because sometimes small bits of dirt on cabinets look like damage and you can simply wipe them clean.

Don't worry about electrical issues, insulation, structure, roof, HVAC, and other major systems of the home because they are covered well beyond the PDI.

If the PDI Rep says silly things like "everything is covered for one year", don't believe it.

Do not take distractions like small kids to the PDI.

If things are not perfectly clean then they can NOT be inspected. PDI Rep should note that and the area should be inspected later.

Sorry I'm rambling,,, I could go on but I'll stop here.

My only other advice would be to call me for a real inspection of the home because a PDI is mostly just cosmetic. In the Preserve my inspections have found serious heath safety issues and many other significant code violations and defects.

Remember, a confident builder will encourage you to get a proper independent new home warranty inspection. A not so confident builder will try to convince you that an independent inspection is not necessary.

TIP - Study the Tarion Construction Performance Guidelines - Interior and Flooring sections.

TIP - Google - Thanks Andy Shaw Halton Home Inspection.

Thanks for your info Andy, May I know what kind of serious heath safety issues you found?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2014-11-28, 06:59 AM
Halton Home Inspector Halton Home Inspector is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milton
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomeoakville View Post
Thanks for your info Andy, May I know what kind of serious heath safety issues you found?
HRV Intake too close to furnace exhaust.
__________________
For the new home warranty inspection services you need and deserve call Andy Shaw at 905 876 4761
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2014-11-28, 01:13 PM
xrox xrox is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 34
Default

Next time I have a PDI I will hire an inspector to do it for me.

Our last home turned out OK except for a couple of laughable issues. The best was the fume hood. Our hood fan above the stove had an 8" venting pipe. Everything looked installed properly. So we move in and immediately install a new ventahood model. Turns out the 8" pipe attached directly to drywall. The vent hole in the wall/brick for the hood was 2 feet to the left behind an installed cabinet.

Idiots!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2014-11-28, 01:28 PM
Picky's Avatar
Picky Picky is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brampton
Posts: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post
Next time I have a PDI I will hire an inspector to do it for me.

Our last home turned out OK except for a couple of laughable issues. The best was the fume hood. Our hood fan above the stove had an 8" venting pipe. Everything looked installed properly. So we move in and immediately install a new ventahood model. Turns out the 8" pipe attached directly to drywall. The vent hole in the wall/brick for the hood was 2 feet to the left behind an installed cabinet.

Idiots!!!!
A very common issue ppl come across while trying to replace the rangehood
__________________
Marigold A
Great Gulf Mount Pleasant






progress thread
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=21560
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2014-11-28, 01:49 PM
kitutd kitutd is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario/Brampton
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
It's not that I purchased a home but I have been at many PDI's. If it's a Mattamy home then usually you start in the kitchen where the PDI Rep will explain the process.

That PDI Rep will likely have a roll of green painters tape and use small pieces of that tape, and give you pieces of tape to mark defects like scratches, dents, chips, and other defects on counters, cabinets, doors, cabinets doors, etc., etc., etc.

TIP - I would suggest you spend a couple dollars and buy your own roll of basic green painters tape. That way you do not have to constantly ask the rep for pieces from his/her roll.

Once you have finished going over the PDI process in the kitchen the rep will probably want you to go upstairs to go through the rooms and bathrooms. This gives you a good chance to carefully scrutinize the hardwood steps and handrails for poor finishes, chips, scratches, staple holes, etc.

Once you are upstairs - in bedrooms just focus on painted walls, doors, carpet, hardwood* floors, but in bathrooms spend more time checking cabinets, counters, cabinet doors, look inside cabinets for damage, check toilets and tubs for damage, scratches, etc., and run your hands over tub surfaces looking for defects and pain splatter.

Once you are on the main floor carefully scrutinize hardwood floors and then spend a good amount of time checking the kitchen.

Once downstairs the PDI Rep will usually briefly go over your equipment like sump, furnace, HRV, water shut off, water heater etc. Since there are no real finishes down there just make sure the equipment is not damaged.

Your PDI should NOT be rushed. Tarions rule of thumb is one hour for every 1000 square feet. The garage will be checked so make sure the mandoor closes as latches shut and make sure the front of the garage door has NO damage.

If it's not a wet muddy disaster then usually they will walk around the home to note a few things but don't expect much and frankly all that is a waste of time because exterior issues are covered well beyond the PDI.

* Hardwood floors are a particular problem if not inspected properly. Google "hardwood floor cupping" for info and make sure your floors are not "cupped".

Take a small clean damp cloth ( comes in handy because sometimes small bits of dirt on cabinets look like damage and you can simply wipe them clean.

Don't worry about electrical issues, insulation, structure, roof, HVAC, and other major systems of the home because they are covered well beyond the PDI.

If the PDI Rep says silly things like "everything is covered for one year", don't believe it.

Do not take distractions like small kids to the PDI.

If things are not perfectly clean then they can NOT be inspected. PDI Rep should note that and the area should be inspected later.

Sorry I'm rambling,,, I could go on but I'll stop here.

My only other advice would be to call me for a real inspection of the home because a PDI is mostly just cosmetic. In the Preserve my inspections have found serious heath safety issues and many other significant code violations and defects.

Remember, a confident builder will encourage you to get a proper independent new home warranty inspection. A not so confident builder will try to convince you that an independent inspection is not necessary.

TIP - Study the Tarion Construction Performance Guidelines - Interior and Flooring sections.

TIP - Google - Thanks Andy Shaw Halton Home Inspection.
This is great, I do not close until next year around this time and I found this to be really helpful. A lot of tips and things I will look for.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2014-11-28, 08:14 PM
newhomeoakville newhomeoakville is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
HRV Intake too close to furnace exhaust.
Is minimum 900mm the building codes in Ontario? Since many of them have been installed, would pipe expansion help to fix the problem?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2014-11-29, 07:09 AM
Halton Home Inspector Halton Home Inspector is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milton
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomeoakville View Post
Is minimum 900mm the building codes in Ontario? Since many of them have been installed, would pipe expansion help to fix the problem?
The Gas Code requires a 6 foot clearance. In this case the more stringent Gas Code rule applies thus making the Ontario Building Code rule irrelevant.
__________________
For the new home warranty inspection services you need and deserve call Andy Shaw at 905 876 4761

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2014-11-29 at 02:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 PM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.