Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-06-18, 01:12 PM
Regular User

Default Custom glass shower with Tamarack

I just received some upgrade prices from Tamarack and we had inquired about putting glass on the bathtub side of the shower instead of the solid wall. The description I got reads "48" custom glass shower enclosure with a custom glass door including sidewall glass panel on half-wall counter finished in quartz, on standard shower base and tiled walls" I'm trying really hard to picture this in my mind, but I can't quite grasp what it would look like. Has anyone here done this upgrade? Do you have pictures or a better explanation? It's a really expensive upgrade, so I want to make sure what we are getting before signing up for it! We are also doing the free-standing Mirolin Demi tub if anyone also has that. Thanks!
Old 2019-06-18, 10:22 PM
Regular User

Sounds like something like this: http://dpbbmkeren.net/posting/

The wall that is adjacent to the tub would be a half wall with a glass top.

Make sure that you only pay for the extra components. Tamarack was charging us almost 3K for the upgraded glass door, but when we looked closely at the description of the upgrade, it included the tiled walls and acrylic base, which was already standard in our home, so they lowered the price to include the different type of door and glass walls only. Make sure you ask for more details about what the cost really includes and what is already standard.
Old 2019-06-18, 10:35 PM
Regular User

Ok, thanks! Wow, we got a quote for $4100, so I think we'll check and make sure they aren't charging us for the standard tile shower too! I thought it seemed off.
Old 2019-06-19, 10:12 PM
Regular User

I checked the initial quote we got and it was for $3,400

The description was: Upgrade ensuite shower to ceramic tiled walls with an acrylic shower base in lieu of builders standard one piece acrylic shower unit. Price includes a custom door.

They lowered it to $1850, as we just wanted to upgrade the door style. Keep in mind that in our case, we only have 1 side of the shower with a glass door and 2 glass panels on each side. We also relocated the shower and made it a 3x5. In your case, it seems like you will have another side with glass and that type of glass is very expensive.
Old 2019-06-19, 10:32 PM
Regular User

Yes, you are right about that last part. We spoke with them today and they said the company that they get the doors from doesn't have anything that would work like that, so it all has to be custom glass and that's what the cost was for. We decided against it. We have plenty of other more important things to spend that money on!