Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2009-10-16, 09:58 PM
Regular User

Default Switching to Rogers Dig. Cable?

I'm thinking of switching to Rogers digital cable from Bell TV. I've been with Bell over 10 years and looking for some incentives now to switch.

What I'm going to try asking for is: PVR free for 1 year, free installation and bundled discount with my cellular. I will need a standard def. box for a second TV.

Can anyone share their experience with recent deals Rogers gave them?
Old 2009-10-16, 10:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
I'm thinking of switching to Rogers digital cable from Bell TV. I've been with Bell over 10 years and looking for some incentives now to switch.

What I'm going to try asking for is: PVR free for 1 year, free installation and bundled discount with my cellular. I will need a standard def. box for a second TV.

Can anyone share their experience with recent deals Rogers gave them?
Have you called Bell and told them you are thinking about switching? If not do so. With a bit of effort you should be able to get 40% off for a year (then phone again in a year and do the same).
Old 2009-10-16, 10:11 PM
Regular User

Talk to bell, if you switch to rogers you will regret it after about 30seconds of use.... There PVR is the worst, unreliable, missed recordings, and a program guide that is suitable for the 90s if that....

Take a good look at your bell pvr, go to a rogers store and play with there instore demo of there pvr, try searching,try to see just subscribed channels or just hd channels....good luck..

fyi also the bell standard hd box can be changed into a pvr just by plugging in a external hardrive..
Old 2009-10-19, 01:42 PM
Regular User

You can also check out threads on RedFlagDeals. The people there are very.... uh.. frugal
Old 2009-10-19, 05:22 PM
Regular User

We have been "unloyal" customers to both companies, chasing promotions every couple years or so but... we have been with Rogers the past 2 years and are now happy to be back with Bell.

All things being equal, both companies customer service sucks and they are only willing to help once you are ready to leave. This said, on a monthly basis Bell is much cheaper and so far the HD is much better quality. We are still adjusting to the new PVR so I cant really comment here, channel selection is nice, kids package is wonderful! All this for nearly half the cost of Rogers; we bought the PVR and are renting a second base unit for 3$ a month.

I agree with gerapau, call Bell and blackmail them to give you a better deal! When we left 2 year ago they told me I should have asked for the customer retention services but of course, it is up to me to ask for it!!!
Old 2009-10-19, 11:10 PM
Regular User

Thanks for all the replies. Now this has me second guessing what to do.

My main reason for thinking of switching was the monthly price would be approx. the same (paying $59/mth now; Rogers VIP is 64.95) and I wouldn't mind having the On Demand plus I would ask for a free PVR for 1 year.

My current Bell receivers are the original receivers when Bell Expressvu first started up so I don't even have the interactive programming guide that the new receivers have.

I would consider staying with Bell if they wanted to toss me a free PVR for a year and perhaps a few bucks savings each month.

Think Bell will budge? and is Rogers On Demand worth giving up?
Old 2009-10-20, 09:10 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Now this has me second guessing what to do.

My main reason for thinking of switching was the monthly price would be approx. the same (paying $59/mth now; Rogers VIP is 64.95) and I wouldn't mind having the On Demand plus I would ask for a free PVR for 1 year.

My current Bell receivers are the original receivers when Bell Expressvu first started up so I don't even have the interactive programming guide that the new receivers have.

I would consider staying with Bell if they wanted to toss me a free PVR for a year and perhaps a few bucks savings each month.

Think Bell will budge? and is Rogers On Demand worth giving up?
Like I said, call Bell and say you are thinking of going with Rogers. They should transfer you to their retentions department. That is all I did and within 5 minutes they had offered 30% off and a free PVR for a year. I didn't need another receiver because I already have more receivers than I do TVs so they changed it to 40% off for a year. A quick call ended up saving me about $35 a month. The only reason I called them is because I had read about many others doing this on another forum so my case is by no means special. 30% off plus a free PVR or 40% off seem to be the standard (but you may have to bargain a bit to get that).

Last edited by gerapau; 2009-10-20 at 09:13 AM.
Old 2009-10-20, 10:17 PM
Regular User

There are big threads on Redflagdeals on retention deals for both Bell and Rogers. For Rogers, there are also some good deals for new customers as well.

I'm currently paying $54 including taxes/fees for Rogers Digital VIP, HD PVR, HD non-PVR, and the HD specialty channels.
Old 2009-10-21, 09:54 AM
Regular User

Yes, call up ExpressVu, select the "Cancel Service" option. When they ask why you're cancelling, tell them you got a good offer from Rogers. Have something written down handy in case they ask you for details even if it's made up. These days, they'll offer anywhere between 20-40% off. If you're not happy with their offer, then switch over to Rogers since it seems you were ready to do so anyway.

And I agree that the Bell PVR is much better than the Rogers.

Close date: July 16, 2009
Old 2009-10-21, 10:42 AM
Regular User

I have always been with Rogers on and off. It has its own advantages. Internet is best with Rogers, but I do not recommend it for HD content. I have never tried Bell, but Rogers HD has occasional pixallation, sometimes the quality of HD is compromised. I have attic mounted antenna as well, to compare the quality of local HD channels vs the ones provided by Rogers, and I can tell you for sure, that at times, Rogers quality of HD channels is worse.