Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2009-10-18, 07:47 AM
Regular User

Default Are you a dog person?

So ever since my husband and I got married, he's been bugging me to get a dog. I always said we can't even if i wanted to we couldn't because i'm allergic. Then along comes the great invention of the poodle mix dogs that are all hypoallergenic. Excuse after excuse later, not the right timing, we are moving etc. I finally give in. He does after all agree to take care of the dog and walk her. I also agree with him that this will be great for my 2 year old son. We get her (11 week old Labradoodle) a week ago and she's a puppy not trained and she is peeing and pooing in the house and ripping apart our baseboards. I hate that my house has that dog stench its driving me crazy. Any other new doggie owner experiences out there? I guess I'm not patient after all.

Last edited by Reesa; 2009-10-18 at 07:50 AM.
Old 2009-10-18, 03:12 PM
Regular User

The peeing problem is best solved using the technique, when you see your Dog pee in the home, take your pet to the spot they peed, say only one word NO, then follow by taking the dog outside and then praising your dog. They enforces the if I do something good I get praised and negative when in the home. This will take a bit of doing but they will start going outside. It was a huge issue for me, I'd tried everything, but this worked within a couple days. Some dogs will learn alot faster.

Use same for poohing. Dogs will usually go in the same place once they've established a spot. Mine never pooh's in the home. No matter how stressed. Kids playing etc he will ask to go outside.

We tied a bell as well to the patio door, every time he pee'd inside, we took him to the door, hit his paw on the bell then let him outside. After only doing this a few times he started to realize he needed to tell us, now the bell was removed after we started realizing he would go to the door. If we weren't paying attention, he'd jump on us like he wanted to play, usually it meant I want out. Now he just paws at the door first, and then its good.

Something else I'd recommend against is the pee pads you can buy, all it did when we first used it was teach him it was ok to pee on his pad in the home. We had to retrain to go outside afterwards. Looking back I'd use the Pee Pad outside, by placing four things, ie rocks whatever to hold it down, take him to that spot each time he needs to go, and he will start associating that spot with where he should go.

All these things were difficult to figure out but it's amazing how fast dogs will learn with the right techniques. I watch The Dog Whisperer religiously now, he has some truly amazing simple tricks to teach your dog.

One example was if someone was playing in the home, a dog becomes stressed thinking he needs to defend you somehow, this can result in him peeing, but usually for us was growling and jumping on us. We listened to how to fix this. All we needed to do was pretend play, when he would come growl, or whatever we all new to stop, point to a spot and tell him to go lay down. It took a few tries but it worked. Really has helped alot.

Hope this helps, there are so many other tricks as well would take me hours to type it out out, but if you ask specific questions. I'll try to provide you answers as best I can.

Be patient, he will get better and as for the biting, get him a rawhide bone, its helpful but I'd suggest when your out, try crating him, for a bit, as all young pups will bite at things till their teeth are all formed. Good Luck...
Old 2009-10-19, 08:44 PM
Regular User

Thank you so much for the guidance and suggestions. i will definately try out some of your ideas. I think the issue is that she is a puppy and we need to get her to understand that peeing and pooing in the house is not acceptable. I also bought some Febreeze today so at least the house is smelling better
I know in a few months this will be easier I just wasn't ready for the hard part to be when we first got her. Its nice to know that someone else has been through this. thank you again!!! I will def. ask you some more questions as they come up !
Old 2009-10-19, 08:52 PM
Regular User

Just curious,

How are your allergies? I'm hypoallergenic to dogs also.

TIA
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-10-20, 12:31 PM
Regular User

My allergies aren't too bad with the Labradoodle. I think my itchy eyes are mostly due to the atmosphere and will hopefully dissapate with the first frost. I was at a friends last week and couldn't stop sneezing and rubbing my eyes from her cats so in comparison its 99% better. She still sheds a bit but for some reason I'm not allergic to her
Old 2009-10-20, 07:07 PM
Regular User

I have bad allergies as well. We chose a Shih Tzu as our hypoallergenic friend. He doesn't shed, doesn't slobber, and is cute as hell. AnxiouslyWaiting gave some good tips for house training. You can use google for training tips too. When ever my guy does circles to poop I tell him "get busy, get busy", now he poops on command.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0928a.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	5025  
Old 2009-10-20, 08:48 PM
Regular User

I'm fine around dogs for the most part but it's when they lick my face, my eyes bulge out like goldfish.

Cute dog, thisischris.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-11-18, 02:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I'm fine around dogs for the most part but it's when they lick my face, my eyes bulge out like goldfish.

Cute dog, thisischris.
Hi Brian,
My allergies aren't too bad but i'm not sure about my asthma. I think we will see in the next few month once the ground freezes and I'll know whether she is impacting my overall health or if its just all the dust in the air due to the construction going on around us.
I had 2 questions. Have any of you purchased pet insurance and if so what do you recommend? Also if anyone has a vet that they would recommend in the /Richmond Hill/Markham/Vaughan area that would be great.
thx
Reesa
Old 2009-11-18, 07:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisischris View Post
I have bad allergies as well. We chose a Shih Tzu as our hypoallergenic friend. He doesn't shed, doesn't slobber, and is cute as hell. AnxiouslyWaiting gave some good tips for house training. You can use google for training tips too. When ever my guy does circles to poop I tell him "get busy, get busy", now he poops on command.
We got a Shih Tzu too and I am super allergic to animals and I have asthma but I love them so much! I have an 11 yr old cat and I sneeze and my eyes itch, etc... but I love him so much! Then we got Eddie and he's been a joy. I never thought I'd get a "frou frou" dog but he's got quite the personality and I think I found a breed for life. He was also ridiculously easy to train. He does all kinds of tricks, which I didn't think small dogs were smart enough for that. He proved me wrong!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr. Eddie.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	5137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eddie in his Sens Jersey.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	5138  
Old 2012-05-17, 08:04 AM

Default Dogs vs Cats

I love and adore dogs. My fiancee loves and adores cats.

I hate litter boxes. He hates dogs.

With that said we will never have a pet together.

Until he dies and I get a min Pin and name him Danny