Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2009-11-30, 12:41 PM
Regular User

Default Nevo Remotes

I saw Greg mentioned the Nevo C3 in one of the TV threads, and I'm curious to learn more about it. Is the C3 like the URC remotes in that if you buy it yourself (off eBay for example) you don't get the software and you're up a creek? I'd prefer not to go through a dealer, or at the very least, get my own copy of the software when it's all said and done.

I'd really like to get one and just program it myself, as I'm really completely fed-up with every Logitech Harmony remote I've tried.

Assuming you do have to go through a dealer, are there any in Ottawa that someone knows of?
Old 2009-11-30, 06:31 PM
Administrator

They are only sold and installed through dealers. Dealers are not supposed to just hand them to a customer and say "have at it!" as that always ends in problems and calls to the manufacture.

Logitech Harmony Remotes are sold at retail for a reason..
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-11-30, 06:43 PM
Regular User

what's wrong with your harmony? I've had 2, first one my fiance stood on destroying the LCD rendering it more or less useless. the second I've had for 3-4 years and only recently after similar abuse of the first has it started restarting randomly. still works flawlessly though.

Old 2009-11-30, 10:29 PM
Administrator

There is a singificant difference in capabilities compared to the Pro stuff. Just with the added capabilities comes added complexity in the programming. The harmony remotes are targeting more for end users, so very very little complexity, and therefore limited on features.

Old 2009-11-30, 11:04 PM
Regular User

More features in terms of home automation? Or in terms of a/v stuff?

I'm sure with some tinkering and an iR receiver you could get some decent results from a harmony as well.

Old 2009-12-01, 12:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNgMaN View Post
More features in terms of home automation? Or in terms of a/v stuff?

I'm sure with some tinkering and an iR receiver you could get some decent results from a harmony as well.
You can, yes, but from what I've seen and heard you can go a lot further with the URC remotes like the 880 and 980 and the Nevos.

While I understand the point of view of an installer, it's still sometimes frustrating that end users who ARE capable (and who really can figure it out by reading forums and tinkering, without going whining to the companies support dept) are out of luck. I know there are some dealers who provide the URC software if you ask nicely, so that's always an option.

The Harmony 900 is on sale ($100 off) at Best Buy this week, so I'm playing around with that. The RF is pretty garbage compared to the 880 for example, but I've got a Hot Link XL infrared extender on its way and that'll work well instead of RF. Just gotta decide if the four coloured buttons for the PVR on the 900 are worth the extra coin over the Harmony One :\
Old 2009-12-01, 06:04 PM
Administrator

With the professional remotes you can add in other things such as RS-232 communication, power sensors, video sensors, contact closures and more.