Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-06-24, 06:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0odle03 View Post
Hi there! My wife and I have recently purchased a single home in Trailsedge, and we're trying to decide on some of the upgrades. One thing that stood out was adding 1ft of height in the basement, since we are planning to finish the basement 8-10 years down the road. Has anyone opted for that and how has it been?

Also, looking to get some comments about any other home owners in the area. Looking forward to being your neighbor!

I definitely think it's worth doing! How much does Richcraft charge for this option? Some of the upgrades that were a priority for us were hardwood stairs and upgrading to 200 amp service.
Old 2019-06-25, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! Definitely helps to get some reassurance

Are there any other major upgrades that you would suggest? Also, random question, but what's with all those mosquito-repellent company advertisements in the neighborhood? Are they bad in the area? Hahaha
If your budget permits get the basement floors higher.

And yeah, mosquito is a problem indeed. The ground is clay so water doesn't drain. There was standing water in the area reserved for the elementary school in Phase 2 from April till June and the city (or richcraft) figured that would be a health risk and dug some trenches to drain the water out. (I guess the storm water drain system is not that effective). I wish there was a way to spray the whole area in the spring to avoid the bugs.
Old 2019-06-25, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karee View Post
If your budget permits get the basement floors higher.

And yeah, mosquito is a problem indeed. The ground is clay so water doesn't drain. There was standing water in the area reserved for the elementary school in Phase 2 from April till June and the city (or richcraft) figured that would be a health risk and dug some trenches to drain the water out. (I guess the storm water drain system is not that effective). I wish there was a way to spray the whole area in the spring to avoid the bugs.
TE2019 We're still waiting to get a final quote on the basement height upgrade. We'll likely do hardwood stairs as well, since it just looked oh-so-good in the Baldwin model home. Happy wife, happy life! Hahaha.

Unfortunate about the mosquitos, especially since they seem to love me. Maybe I'll take that number down for when spring comes around next year. Didn't a community petition to do something like that in Kanata?
Old 2019-06-25, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Unfortunate about the mosquitos, especially since they seem to love me. Maybe I'll take that number down for when spring comes around next year. Didn't a community petition to do something like that in Kanata?
Kanata North has been mosquito spraying some of the ponds/creeks for a couple of years now. I believe it has helped, but as much as I hate to say it we'll never be completely rid of mosquitoes. It didn't seem to help much in 2017 but that was the year we had rain every other day and the groundwater had nowhere to go. There was just too much standing water everywhere for it to be effective.
Old 2019-07-02, 09:40 AM

We got the quote back for the upgraded basement height and the other upgrades and got:

$12,221 - Increase foundation height
$5,843 - Chef's Kitchen
$268 - Enlarge closet in Bedroom 3

Didn't end up going with the mud room/foyer benches or anything else. Hopefully will have the time/energy to do those things afterwards. On to the next thing! Did anyone look at getting a wall oven for the Baldwin? And if so, where did you place it?

Too bad about the mosquitoes! But I guess it's normal, maybe I'll try out one of those Thermocell things.. hahaha!
Old 2019-07-03, 09:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
We got the quote back for the upgraded basement height and the other upgrades and got:

$12,221 - Increase foundation height
$5,843 - Chef's Kitchen
$268 - Enlarge closet in Bedroom 3

Didn't end up going with the mud room/foyer benches or anything else. Hopefully will have the time/energy to do those things afterwards. On to the next thing! Did anyone look at getting a wall oven for the Baldwin? And if so, where did you place it?

Too bad about the mosquitoes! But I guess it's normal, maybe I'll try out one of those Thermocell things.. hahaha!
$12k to increase the ceiling height in the basement. Wow. You would obviously only do this if you are certain to finish the basement. Add in the costs to finish the basement and you can easily budget about $50k + for that basement. Personally, I would rather put that amount toward a larger home, but I understand some people really like having a finished basement.
Old 2019-07-08, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaC View Post
$12k to increase the ceiling height in the basement. Wow. You would obviously only do this if you are certain to finish the basement. Add in the costs to finish the basement and you can easily budget about $50k + for that basement. Personally, I would rather put that amount toward a larger home, but I understand some people really like having a finished basement.
Yeah, it will be expensive in the end but I will likely be doing a large chunk of it myself, and that was the largest available lot at the current time.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard anything about the next release of homes? I noticed there was another price increase in the last month or so, but was curious if they've started moving forward with development.