Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-08-17, 08:59 AM
Regular User

Lightbulb Coffered To Waffle Ceiling

We have coffered ceilings in both the family and living/dining room, is it possible to change the coffered in the family room to waffle, anyone know contractors and how much it would approx cost?

BTW, the family room is 9ft ceiling, will waffle drop the ceiling to 8ft, will it look worse?

Opinions Appreciated!
Old 2011-08-17, 04:26 PM
Regular User

There's a pretty good thread somewhere on here where someone did the waffle ceiling themselves and posted great step by step instructions. I'd check it out.
Old 2011-08-28, 06:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvi View Post
We have coffered ceilings in both the family and living/dining room, is it possible to change the coffered in the family room to waffle, anyone know contractors and how much it would approx cost?
I had a rough estimate of $5500 from a company for an 18x14 ft room and that included removing (burying) the popcorn ceiling in the room.

That was about exactly the same as what the builder was going to charge for it if I got it with the house..
Old 2011-09-01, 07:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by briar View Post
I had a rough estimate of $5500 from a company for an 18x14 ft room and that included removing (burying) the popcorn ceiling in the room.

That was about exactly the same as what the builder was going to charge for it if I got it with the house..
I got a quote for my family room, which is 18x18, for $3240. Works out to be $10/sq ft. As for another contractor around $15/sq ft.

the first quote is from:
http://alexmoulding.com/Toronto-crow...ed-ceiling.php

and second:
http://waffleceiling.com/

Someone else recommended Alex Moulding on this forum. I'll be having Alex and his team install waffle ceilings next summer, so can't comment on quality yet.

Hope that helps!
Old 2011-09-01, 09:29 PM
Regular User

Would waffle make a 9ft ceiling room look even smaller, cuz of the misued height.
Old 2011-09-02, 12:26 AM
Regular User

If you have existing coffered ceiling in the family room you should get a good feel of how much the ceiling may "drop".

Member Patrob has a unique waffle ceiling in one room that I believe they put in themselves. Her waffles are quite shallow so that may be a good choice. Otherwise, I recommend crown moulding .. gives the ceiling a lift IMO.
Old 2011-09-02, 02:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvi View Post
Would waffle make a 9ft ceiling room look even smaller, cuz of the misued height.
yes because you lose a foot of height (approx.). I prefer waffle in 10+ feet plus rooms. however, if you like the look, dont worry about making something look smaller.
Old 2011-09-02, 03:20 PM
Regular User

Anyone have pics of 9ft ceilings with waffle ceilings, if possible a before and after, 9ft ONLY

Thanks
Old 2012-08-08, 11:53 PM

Default Waffle ceiling

I used a company called Iron Manor for my ceiling and it was fair priced and is gorgeous. I got more expensive quotes from other places except a few fly by nighters. My dining room cost me $1,400.. It's about 12x12 in size

Mike
Old 2012-08-09, 08:51 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Toronto View Post
I used a company called Iron Manor for my ceiling and it was fair priced and is gorgeous. I got more expensive quotes from other places except a few fly by nighters. My dining room cost me $1,400.. It's about 12x12 in size

Mike
Do you have contact info or web site for them?