Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-07-03, 01:51 PM

Default Overview of builders in Ottawa/Kanata

Hi there guys. New to this forum, but have been reading to gain insight -- there's a wealth of information here. But if possible, I'd like to have one central thread where I can solicit your feedback on the pros and cons of numerous builders out there. It can be a bit overwhelming, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My background: Moving back to Ottawa after being away nearly 18 years and looking for housing, ideally one that we can move into by October at latest. We've taken a look online at all the various builders, but not being in Ottawa proper at the moment, the only viewings we've been able to do are virtual. So here's me asking you all for your insight/help because you have the advantage of actually being there.

Can you tell me what are the pros and cons of the following builders?

Richcraft (we've been told by a family friend to stay away, but the houses look marvellous).

Monarch -- are there any specific delays in construction? Any issues with the houses?

Phoenix Homes (we all fell in love with the Platina model, but having browsed this forum I see there are issues with them in Barrhaven, but oddly none seem to appear in Kanata). Anything extra needed to know?

Those are the three that we've narrowed it down to, but we're open to other builders if you have top recommendations. Basically what are the known issues/benefits of the three mentioned above? Should we be looking at others too?

Thank you so very much for your time. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 2012-07-03, 02:02 PM
Regular User

Urbandale builds homes in Kanata Lakes. My friend recently moved into one of the new 'horizon' collections ones and it is absolutely stunning.

I believe Tartan Homes is also still building in Sohowest, which is in the South Kanata area.

Are you looking at singles? towns? semis?
With the October timeline, you are probably looking at quick occupancy homes...

Old 2012-07-03, 02:27 PM
Regular User

LOL, my family is moving back to Ottawa as well. We are loading the truck on Friday and moving back for good.

We started looking last April for resale homes and didn't find anything we liked. We eventually figure out that we were ready for a new build and chose Urbandale in Kanata Lakes.

It is a great neighbourhood and we are closing next April. That does mean we will be living at my in-laws for about seven months but it will be worth it in the end.

If you must have something by October, you are looking at resale or inventory/quicksale homes. Your lot and floor plan choices will be severely reduced and you won't get much input into colour/trim selection as it will most likely be done already.

There are still some opportunities in Kanata Lakes with Urbandale and Richcraft.

Last edited by jqs; 2012-07-03 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Grammar/Readability
Old 2012-07-03, 02:42 PM
Regular User

URBANDALE.
Best builder in Ottawa!
Old 2012-07-03, 02:56 PM
Regular User

We just closed with Phoenix in barrhaven (strandherd meadows) and couldn't be happier. They were very flexible with structural changes and their after-sale service is quite good.
Old 2012-07-03, 03:04 PM
Regular User

We chose Valecraft for our first home and have been very pleased with them so far. They have never missed a closing date in 30 years of business and are locally owned and operated. Their homes seem to be well-built and reasonably priced. I also found them to be friendly and very easy to deal with.

I have also heard many good things about Urbandale so would consider them for the next home as well
Old 2012-07-03, 06:57 PM
Regular User

As jqs said, if you are looking for an October closing at the latest then you are looking at an early occupancy home from the builders. You will be limited to whatever models that are currently available.

Depending on the builder, you may be able to select some of your finishes. You will not be able to make any structural changes though.

Do you have a specifc area of the city that you would like to live in?
Old 2012-07-03, 09:27 PM

Thank you all for the feedback!

October is the optimal date, but I suppose to get what we really want, we'd be willing to wait, as long as it was a highly recommended builder. We'd just sit on the home we're currently in outside of Toronto. I guess I'm eager to return back to the old hometown.

Part of the family has their hearts set on Kanata Lakes, having heard good things about parks, amenities and shopping .. the rest of us are open to pretty much anywhere west of the city.

I had read a thread that there were issues with Phoenix homes not being properly insulated, and not having contact/support from the developer during construction, which is why we were on a fence about that particular developer. However, its Platina model is the ideal layout/design for us, we love it.

We're looking for a single detached family home, with flexibility about move-in I guess.

Again, thank you all for your feedback, and anyone else with ideas/opinions, please share!
Old 2012-07-03, 09:40 PM
Regular User

Urbandale is an awesome builder, but very pricey even with the options and things they give you.

We bought the last platina in kanata lakes and we think we got a great price for the house.we did find out through the design center review that many basic things were ad dons and not included ( most shocking was no backsplash in the kitchen). But now we get to do something fancy after the fact.
Old 2012-07-04, 08:03 AM
Regular User

From my experience and knowledge Ottawa has a wide range of average-above average builders and some sub-par builders. Above average include: Richcraft, Urbandale, Valecraft, Monarch, and others.

Below average: Mattamy, Minto, Phoenix...

I think the prices in Ottawa tend to reflect the quality (ie: Mattamy vs. Monarch prices in Stonebridge)

Good luck!