Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2012-12-27, 09:32 PM
Regular User

Default Basement - Day #1

I started constructing the first wall in my basement today. As you may have read in a previous thread in here I've decided to use blue lumber, the Barricade floor system, and spray foam.

I removed a section of that high quality (picking up my sarcasm?) blanket insulation the builder gave us earlier today. Unfortunately, there was a bit of condensation/frost below & around the sill plate as you can see in one of my pics. I suspect this is due to the terrible job they did sealing the poly around the opening so I did my best at a temporary solution. I just cut the insulation a little long and stuffed it up into the sill plate. I also grabbed a few pieces of the scrap insulation to go into all of the gaps they left.

Anyway, it's going to have to do for the winter as I'm not in a position to start wiring/foaming right now.

I'll post more as time and budget allows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1622.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	1,002.6 KB
ID:	10352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1639.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	10353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sill.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	10354  
Old 2013-01-09, 05:08 PM
Regular User

Just a question. Are you laying the floors under the frame or are you doing the framing first, then laying the floors?
Old 2013-01-09, 08:41 PM
Regular User

I'm putting down the floor first, then installing the wall on top. I don't believe there's any harm in doing it the other way either. If you do the walls right on the floor though it might be a good idea to use sill gasket or poly underneath as a barrier between the wood wall and the concrete floor.
Old 2013-01-10, 12:04 AM
Regular User

Not just a good idea - it's code.
Old 2013-01-15, 06:34 PM
Regular User

as a final test, suggest you tape a few sheets of 2ft x 2ft poly against the concrete

if there is any moisture migration, you will get condensation behind the poly
Old 2013-01-21, 01:50 PM
Regular User

I'm curious... why did you choose Barricade over DRIcore? Especially in the ottawa area, isn't moisture the biggest concern?

Old 2013-01-21, 04:34 PM
Regular User

The Barricade system has a small channel built into the foam which apparently channels any moisture that may accumulate. My thinking was, the moisture can't really harm the foam anyway, and if I did get a bit the channels in the foam would help it "air out".

Also, I've had the insulation removed from my basement for almost a year now and I've seen no signs of dampness or water with the exception of an extremely minor "drip" in a crack that has since been filled.

I also liked the idea of the foam because it provides an "R" value and in the event the concrete below isn't quite level, there'd be less chance of hearing clicks as you walk around.
Old 2013-01-21, 04:41 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
Also, I've had the insulation removed from my basement for almost a year now and I've seen no signs of dampness or water with the exception of an extremely minor "drip" in a crack that has since been filled.

if you have minor moisture migration, it will evaporate and you wont see it. I agree you are likely good to go, but I would tape on some poly as above for a few days to be certain.
Old 2013-01-23, 10:32 AM
Regular User

Being most concerned about moisture, I put DRIcore in my own basement... I don't see how the barricade channels would save me in the event of a minor issue even. Most of the panels I saw did not have evenly grooved channels and some of them were flush with the face of the foam.

Hearing the few concerns I did read about with regards to noise, I skipped the leveling shims and just secured the areas with some movement by installing a few tapcons. In the 850 sq ft I installed, I used 22 tapcons. The floor couldn't be more solid and quiet.

I also noticed that barricade has a higher r-value, but in reality, the difference from R1.7 to R3 is next to nothing... 3 degrees celcius before additing anything on top. If you are going laminate, maybe, but to add to it, I also put down a 1/2" memory foam underpad and 70 oz carpet. Truly the warmest rooms in the house are now the basement.

Old 2013-01-23, 11:22 AM
Regular User

Looking forward to following this thread. Figure on starting my own basement in the spring. I have one annoying project that I've been procrastinating on that I'm going to make myself finish first, then I have to clean the basement and jettison more stuff than you would believe, and finally I want to gut all the bagged insulation at once and I don't really want to go without any basement insulation at this time of year.

Hold me to this. I'll start my own picture thread in the spring.