Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2013-01-23, 11:07 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
if you have minor moisture migration, it will evaporate and you wont see it. I agree you are likely good to go, but I would tape on some poly as above for a few days to be certain.
Not a bad idea.

If there is moisture migration - then what?
Old 2013-01-23, 11:13 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
Not a bad idea.

If there is moisture migration - then what?
Then the cause must be identified and fixed before you close in the walls.

Usually poor drainage and/or downspout placement, problem with foundation moisture management system.
Old 2013-01-27, 09:31 PM
Regular User

I didn't have any poly handy in my basement tonight but I wanted to get a jump on this. I ended up ripping a few pieces of poly from the pile of builders (bag) insulation that I took off earlier. The pieces aren't exactly square but they'll do the trick I think.

We'll see what the next few days brings. I'd also like to leave it up during the thaw this spring.

As it stands right now, the wall from my first post is the only framing I've done, and just over half of my basement is now covered in Barricade tile. So far, so good.
Old 2014-01-14, 07:19 AM
Regular User

Reviving this thread because believe it or not, I haven't done any work since I started the post!

So, a quick update:

After removing the insulation around the perimeter of where my finished space will be going, I spent a lot of time checking for leaks - specifically after any big rain storms or snowfalls. I haven't spotted any trouble, and I did end up taking good2know's advice by taping 2x2 sheets of poly in random areas around the basement, even the floor. Again, no moisture.

I finally finished my Barricade subfloor installation, and given that there was no moisture or water anywhere to be seen for the past year I started framing an interior wall last weekend.

Everything is going along well, but I do have a question.

Last night while I was preparing plans to acquire a permit (I know, maybe a tad late), I noticed what appears to be a small water spot on the foundation (pics attached).

I grabbed one of my crazy bright LED flash-light's and shone it in the area, and it does appear to be some dampness. There is no water accumulation below the spot, and in the space between the subfloor and the wall it's perfectly dry. I checked it again this morning and it is the same size, if not a bit smaller.

Given the amount of snow melting and rain falling over the past week I can't really complain about something so small, but at the same time I'm wondering if there's anything that needs my attention here?

Again, it's not wet to the touch. It's just a damp spot with no drips or pools in the area.

I can't see excavating the back of my house to fix something like this, and since I plan on spray foaming I don't expect this to be an issue. Especially since over the past year I can say with certainty this area has been fine.

Thoughts?

Oh....once I get the permit and get the framing a little further along I'll have to post some pics of progress!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59C9CEAE-B23E-419C-9DD5-0EC382D95692.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	11755   Click image for larger version

Name:	381F752A-BCE0-4806-ACD3-56FF3A96295F.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	976.6 KB
ID:	11756  
Old 2014-01-14, 09:05 AM
Regular User

My second crack in the basement wall was higher up but we couldn't see it because the stairs where there. Based on what he can tell, the crack didn't span the entire height. The contractor dug about two feet down on the outside and injected the area with polyurethane in that area. You can see where he's been but so far so good.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2014-01-14, 03:22 PM
Regular User

regarding barricade I can tell you it channels water; I had a pipe burst in my unfinished room and the water ran under the finished flooring towards the drains.

in regards to your leak, any chance this is right below a window, maybe below a sill whether on the first floor or second floor?
Old 2014-01-14, 04:33 PM
Regular User

The "spot" is pretty close to being below one of our large living room windows.

Are you thinking there's a bunch of water dripping down near the foundation under the window? Maybe. If so, how do you prevent this?

Update:
I have an image I took from earlier today, maybe this will help. Area is roughly in the neighbourhood of the pink arrow and I should note, it will soon be covered with gravel sloped away from the foundation and a deck on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-6.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	787.3 KB
ID:	11759  

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2014-01-14 at 05:24 PM.
Old 2014-01-14, 08:04 PM
Regular User

I was but I don't see the concrete sills I thought I was going to see. On that note you still never know where the water may be coming from, in our neighbourhood a person mentioned that Fernbrook builder has received 120 calls over the past weekend due to leaky roofs caused by the latest ice/snow/ice/thaw cycle.

I also noticed you have a below grade window well, was there any snow in there? Grading away from the house? I noticed on several homes the gutters were clogged with ice and the water had no where to go but over the edge.

I think if you have gone a year with this being your biggest issue your foundation you are likely ok....just my thought.
Old 2014-01-15, 05:50 AM
Regular User

TG when I blow the damp spot picture up, I can see a hairline crack in the wall.

Suggest you check the moisture barrier to see if there is a break in the caulking along the top edge.
Old 2014-01-15, 08:53 AM
Regular User

Yeah, there is a crack there - good eye.

It's SO small...

Which area are you referring to? On the top of the concrete wall?