Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2013-03-18, 09:08 AM
Regular User

Default Solution for stable 2nd Floor network connectivity

I have a solution for those who may not have access to hardwired network runs on their second floor and have dead spots in the bedrooms or choppy HD over wireless.

The option to run a network to our second floor is not easy (not impossible), we do not have a conduit, the air returns are not ideal and cost was more than buying the items listed below.

I read up on Powerline “HomePlug” network and to be quite honest seemed a little too easy. I kept an eye on two well rated consumer products for a price drop. Trendnet Powerline 500 AV Gigabit kit and the Dlink whole home 1000 router (which I use as an access point).

I picked up the Trendnet kit for 59.99 and the Dlink router for 69.99.

First off the dlink router has unbelievable coverage for consumer grade equipment. The router alone virtually covers my entire home but first impressions of the Trendnet kit were not so great.

The initial installation of the Powerline kit was simple, literally plug it in, run the LAN cable and you are done in 2 minutes. The problem I had poor connectivity and could not get a solid connection. I was a car ride away from returning the equipment until I saw a post online that made note of AFCI breakers (GFI are well documented). Post 2002 construction calls for all bedrooms to run on AFCI breakers. Based on my understanding the wave of the data transmitted is similar and the intelligent breaker makes a mess of it causing loss of connectivity.

Thankfully I have 2nd floor laundry with an empty outlet, I plugged the equipment in and voila solid connection. I have speeds that are only limited to the hardware that is accepting or receiving the data.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=86595N

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=050307
Old 2013-03-22, 12:37 PM
Regular User

Can't say I've ever had issues with stuff from the basement to the second floor, My wife's Aunt has a 3 storey town home and I had some issues there and did exactly this. powerline ethernet kit. I only needed the one outlet but would have put a router up there if needed.

Old 2013-03-22, 01:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNgMaN View Post
Can't say I've ever had issues with stuff from the basement to the second floor, My wife's Aunt has a 3 storey town home and I had some issues there and did exactly this. powerline ethernet kit. I only needed the one outlet but would have put a router up there if needed.
Sorry my 2nd floor is technically the 3rd floor. I do not have any issue on the main level or the basement, we have great coverage both wireless and network, this was specific to the top floor only and to get the best coverage possible.