Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-05-08, 05:46 PM
Regular User

Default HVAC Maintenance Good Idea

Now is a good time for maintenance on a/c and furnaces - sort of between seasons.

Found this excellent special from our friends at AXIS>>

http://www.groupon.com/deals/axis-he...v-zq7YkcCsKwCp

My a/c is going into its fourth summer so its time and money well spent to get it checked now to ensure all summer operation.
Old 2013-07-06, 12:29 AM
Regular User

I got a reminder email about A/C annual maintenance for $125 tax in and we need to do this for 10 years, if we want to keep the 10 year labour warranty.

I don't know, that would be $1,250 for 10 years, almost the cost of a brand-new A/C. I am not saying preventative maintenance is not important but I remember reading in a recent thread that A/C is generally built to last and sometimes it's not as complex as people make it out to be.

Ours is still running fine, knock on wood. We do cover it up before the winter and also flip the breaker, I also make sure there are no leaves/grass clippings in the condenser coils.
Old 2013-07-06, 10:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S and H View Post
I got a reminder email about A/C annual maintenance for $125 tax in and we need to do this for 10 years, if we want to keep the 10 year labour warranty.

I don't know, that would be $1,250 for 10 years, almost the cost of a brand-new A/C. I am not saying preventative maintenance is not important but I remember reading in a recent thread that A/C is generally built to last and sometimes it's not as complex as people make it out to be.

Ours is still running fine, knock on wood. We do cover it up before the winter and also flip the breaker, I also make sure there are no leaves/grass clippings in the condenser coils.
It's not a hard set rule that if you don't do maintenance your warranty is void. Rather, if a failure is due to improper maintenance, you can be denied. At least that's the way it's been in the conditions of my last two A/Cs.
Old 2013-07-06, 04:32 PM
Regular User

TERPLEX you got it right...

Its recommened and if the failure is due to lack of maint you will get charged on warranty equipment.. But its pretty rare to loose your warranty..

Over the years i have had owner neglect calls where things where under warranty. I Simply explain you will pay for this repair and the warranty will continue after this..

Some things i have charged for that where under warranty:
-plugged filter causing no heat from limit trip
-no heat dirty flame sensor(no anuual maint done)
-plugged filter causing iced evap that later defrosted and fried a circuit board
-no filter used causing blockage in evap causing no cooling..
-plug air intake with snow causing no heat from pressure switch trip
-DIY humidifier install gone wrong put hole in evap coil... 1000$ bill approx to replaced a-coil
-fried compressor from customer running a/c with winter cover still on
-DIY thermostat install fried transformer and main board

ect ect it goes on, but it gives you an idea what you can expect if you forget maintenance.
Old 2013-07-08, 12:27 PM
Regular User

TKG -I've been getting both AC and furnace but at two separates times...is it possible just to consolidate?
Old 2013-07-08, 07:15 PM
Regular User

Of course just ask for it done during the cooling season. So that both can be run. Furnace can be checked at anytime, obviously the AC on a warm summer day... Most companies would love to do both on one visit. Make them more money.. Saves on travel. Some even have combo prices when u combine the two
Old 2013-07-08, 09:30 PM
Regular User

Any tips on DIY maintenance? Can't be that hard..
Old 2013-07-12, 01:38 PM
Regular User

After the issues I've had with my A/C since install 2 years ago, I'm ok with having paid the $134 for the warranty inspection. Yes the issue they found (which was a coolant leak since install) was fully covered (and especially since last year's tech missed it and accused me of leaking the coolant myself...perhaps to sell to someone?? that's what I do in my spare time...shhh). The tech also found that my cold air return from my master isn't working, so I think it's worth it, even if you live in your house for 3-5 years, better than paying the $2000 for another new A/C if too many issues. JMO
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Caivan: Series 1, Plan 2
June 4, 2020

Old 2013-07-12, 09:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
Any tips on DIY maintenance? Can't be that hard..
If you have to ask... IT Can't be that simple jokes

Change your filter monthly keep the condenser clean of grass and dust with garden hose...

The rest is for qualified trained technicians.

Seriously its really hard to advice people to DIY maint. Specialized tools are used to ensure equipment is operating properly and safely, not to mention the years of experience a good tech brings with them that can find problems before they fail or become dangerous.

Like a car mechanic find one you like and stick with them.
Old 2013-11-17, 12:38 PM
Regular User

Our furnace (less than 2 year old) recently acted up and as part of overall maintenance, the tech told us to change the humidifier filter once a year, i couldn't believe how dirty it was when he opened the panel!

Absolutely had no idea! Learn something new everyday!