Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2013-06-27, 01:11 PM
Regular User

Default heating/cooling system not great?

Im just curious if its just us. We have a Nile. AC has been going for days and the top floor is still smouldering. We close all the the vents on the main floor/ basement/ and any rooms we dont spend time in just to gets some cool air moving in 2 bedrooms. It doesnt seem to push much air out of the vents. It feels cool but very weak. I tried removing the furnace filter but its the same.
Same thing reverse in the winter. Bedroom is a meat locker when the rest of the house is warm.
Any suggests?
Old 2013-06-27, 01:38 PM
Regular User

if you close too many vents your ac coil in the furnace can freeze up... i had to keep open the main and second floors.
Old 2013-06-27, 02:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileguy View Post
Im just curious if its just us. We have a Nile. AC has been going for days and the top floor is still smouldering. We close all the the vents on the main floor/ basement/ and any rooms we dont spend time in just to gets some cool air moving in 2 bedrooms. It doesnt seem to push much air out of the vents. It feels cool but very weak. I tried removing the furnace filter but its the same.
Same thing reverse in the winter. Bedroom is a meat locker when the rest of the house is warm.
Any suggests?
Define smouldering, what kind of temps do you have? It almost sounds like you have a balance issue. This might not be the right term but are the main vents from the furnace trunk open on both sides? Are the flaps open at the registers? You may need to put your hand in? What direction do you face, do you have your blinds open or closed. We installed black out blinds on the second floor and it has made a huge difference. We keep our system at 25 during the day, usually yielding 26 or 27 during the day however once 7 hits we lower to 24 for the night and the virtually the entire house becomes 24 within an hour aside from the basement which waivers around 20-21, once the sun comes up because we face east and the instant temp climb starts at 6:30 AM, anything lower than 24 will have the system run no stop all day.

Is your basement finished? If no you may have massive air loss at the rim joists, seal those up if you can.
Old 2013-06-27, 02:32 PM
Regular User

interesting point. ill check vent trunk openings. maybe not enough air going in..
Old 2013-06-27, 02:48 PM
Regular User

We have a difference of 2 degrees between the floors...main is 23 and 2nd at 25...but still comfortable

progress thread
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=21560
Old 2013-06-27, 03:05 PM
Regular User

thanks RFD. intake to furnace was shut. moving little more air now. hoper this helps.
Old 2013-07-03, 05:39 PM
Regular User

another 'cool' robber is holes in the duct work

use foil tape on every joint you can access
Old 2013-07-04, 09:57 AM
Regular User

If it's a new build it may be worth having an HVAC company look at things. There are different fan speeds that both the AC and Heat can be set at. If you're set way too low that could be an issue.

Also - make sure your filter is clean!
Old 2013-07-04, 10:03 AM
Regular User

Further to G2K's point I did that in my basement and once you actually start going you realize how many holes you have in your ducts, elbows and the trunk of the unit was a sieve, the air loss is significant. I went through three roles.

On a day like today, cloudy, raining but hot and muggy my home is very well balanced, temps match virtually throughout the house, basement is cooler but that is because the basement is properly sealed.
Old 2013-07-12, 11:48 AM
Regular User

thanks guys. i did seal all cracks in basement and have a new filter. the return vent in the basement was closed. now its open i get more airflow.