Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-07-21, 01:59 PM

Default Home networking

I'm looking for a contractor that specializes in home networking setups - wallmount rack + cat5e jack installation.

I'm in a Minto Gramercy IV condo (top 2 floors of a "stacked" condo). It came pre-wired for cat5e, but the jack placement is horrid. There is existing RG-6 (coax) to all the locations I want to put cat5e, so I'm guessing that fishing the cable through the walls won't be that much of a hassle.

I want to install a wallmount rack (patch panel?) in the 2nd floor laundry room, where the electrical panel is. The existing cat5e and coax terminate to this room already. I need 1 jack in both 2nd floor bedrooms, as well as at least 2 jacks on the main floor.

While I have some technical computer knowledge, this level of wiring is beyond my capabilities. I'm really looking for an "all inclusive" solution.

Just Googling, I haven't really found a contractor that fits the bill. Any suggestions?
Old 2013-07-21, 03:34 PM
Regular User

Contact an alarm installer. They are great for this.

Old 2013-07-21, 10:36 PM
Regular User

Also, use cat6 instead of cat5.
Old 2013-07-21, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball View Post
Contact an alarm installer. They are great for this.
No, don't. Many are quite clueless when it comes to proper network wiring practices.

http://www.cedia.org/find-a-cedia-professional
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2013-07-22, 08:05 AM
Regular User

Send me a PM, I can recommend someone.
Old 2013-07-22, 12:48 PM
Regular User

I used Concept for all my alarm needs on my most recent hosue but they also do all the network stuff you'd want. Very professional installers and great show room!
Old 2013-07-22, 03:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellwoodking View Post
I used Concept for all my alarm needs on my most recent hosue but they also do all the network stuff you'd want. Very professional installers and great show room!
Concept can really screw you too depending who they send for the installers. They did a wretched job on the speaker pre-wire for our place, and even placement of conduits was ridiculous. I realize that's through a builder and perhaps less of an issue if you go direct and supervise the work, but I was actually pretty displeased.
Old 2013-07-22, 09:02 PM
Administrator

If any of them use toolless jacks, that is the first sign there will be issues.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2013-07-23, 08:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Concept can really screw you too depending who they send for the installers. They did a wretched job on the speaker pre-wire for our place, and even placement of conduits was ridiculous. I realize that's through a builder and perhaps less of an issue if you go direct and supervise the work, but I was actually pretty displeased.
My neighbour had them pre-wire speakers in his place, he wanted them centered in his dining room. They aren't even close to being evenly spaced. He even went into the house with them before drywall to confirm where to put them.
Old 2013-07-24, 10:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by north59 View Post
My neighbour had them pre-wire speakers in his place, he wanted them centered in his dining room. They aren't even close to being evenly spaced. He even went into the house with them before drywall to confirm where to put them.
Yeah, well I understood that joist spacing might inhibit the perfect placement, but I don't think it was too much to ask that they at least line them up with each other and also not drill the hole for the wire directly below the joist, thereby guaranteeing I have to do drywall patching.

They did so many other things that just enraged me, like running my CAT5e in the basement (across the joists of the future bathroom) on a diagonal, without any slack, so that it's a nightmare when I go to put up wall partitions and close the ceiling.

I don't want to make a generalized statement that Concept is always like this, but it really comes down to the specific installers they have working on the house.